Written out Dixieland Music?

The bulk of the musical talk
jlbreyer
bugler
bugler

Post by jlbreyer »

We're currently using two books called 'Dixieland Beat'. One from Hal Leonard, the other from Warner Bro's. Got both from J.W.Pepper. They provide some limited opportunities for improvisation, but can be played fine without. There are a few nice tunes in the Hal Leonard, but we like the arrangements in the Warner Bro's better. I think the arranger is Meissner. Not expensive. Connect to JWPepper and search for 'dixieland beat'.

jlb
10J and lovin' it.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

jlbreyer wrote:We're currently using two books called 'Dixieland Beat'. One from Hal Leonard, the other from Warner Bro's. Got both from J.W.Pepper. They provide some limited opportunities for improvisation, but can be played fine without. There are a few nice tunes in the Hal Leonard, but we like the arrangements in the Warner Bro's better. I think the arranger is Meissner. Not expensive. Connect to JWPepper and search for 'dixieland beat'.

jlb
I also use the Hal Leonard 'Dixieland Beat' books. I went to the Pepper site and found the Warner Bros publications but did not see any details. Can you send me a list of the tunes? Also, the Dixieland Beat I have is arranged by Howard. The one Pepper lists indicates the arranger is Norris but the tunes are the same. Do you know anything about this?
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

If you can get ahold of the April issue of Mississippi Rag there is a review article by Dave Robinson of a lot of traditional jazz arrangements for student bands.

http://www.mississippirag.com/