What other instruments do you 'dabble' on? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: What other instruments do you 'dabble' on?

Postby nworbekim » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:55 pm

Other than the band instruments which I taught for 30 years and became fairly proficient with, I play guitar, bass (Upright and electric) , dobro, hammer dulcimer and noodle around with keyboards /synths. My favorite is the wind synths and guitar synths and my vintage Roland sound canvas.

But tuba and euphonium are my best.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
nworbekim
4 valves
4 valves

Location: I bought a farm in southern Kentucky near Lake Cumberland

Postby Mike C855B » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:29 pm

bloke wrote:... She wanted to play the Sibelius "Swan of Tuonela" ...

Ah, yes. Much appreciation here, Swan is not so much a test of pure virtuosity as it is demanding of control and endurance. Is your daughter playing professionally now? My oboe mentor was an alumnus of one of those aforementioned conservatories and played with a big-city major for several years, only to - frankly - crack under the pressure. I was crushed, I so looked up to him and still do. Anyway, you guys think tuba at that level is bad, oboe is furiously competitive if not outright cutthroat.

Early on I dabbled (per thread theme) with reed making, but it is a very skilled art into itself. I was out of double reeds for a couple of decades, and on reentering figured by the time I invested in a full workshop, I could pay somebody for their artistry for the rest of my life. I have a good reed guy now, one of the rare ones who never sends an unplayable reed, but he's been "discovered" and sometimes gets backed up 5 or 6 weeks.

Doubtful I'll ever have the opportunity to play the Sibelius with an orchestra, but I have supporters in my current wind group who are trying to convince the director to program the wind arrangement of the 2nd movement of Dvořák's 9th, also a significant feature work for EH. But I'll be happy with Russian Christmas for the time being.
Miraphone 191 4-valve
1925 Conn 28J
Cerveny CEP 531-4M
Fox 880 "Sayen" (oops... that's an oboe) ;)
Mike C855B
bugler
bugler

Postby KingBassTrombone » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:06 pm

Oddly enough, tuba is one of the instruments on which I dabble. My main instrument is trombone. I doubled on euphonium for a while, but now I'm only dabbling on that, too. Just not many opportunities to branch away from trombone...
Besson Brevete 221 BBb Recording tuba
1933 H.N.White King 1235 EEb bell-forward
King 2266 bell-forward baritone
+9 other miscellaneous brass
KingBassTrombone
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:22 pm

Mike C855B wrote:
bloke wrote:... She wanted to play the Sibelius "Swan of Tuonela" ...

Ah, yes. Much appreciation here, Swan is not so much a test of pure virtuosity as it is demanding of control and endurance. Is your daughter playing professionally now? My oboe mentor was an alumnus of one of those aforementioned conservatories and played with a big-city major for several years, only to - frankly - crack under the pressure. I was crushed, I so looked up to him and still do. Anyway, you guys think tuba at that level is bad, oboe is furiously competitive if not outright cutthroat.

Early on I dabbled (per thread theme) with reed making, but it is a very skilled art into itself. I was out of double reeds for a couple of decades, and on reentering figured by the time I invested in a full workshop, I could pay somebody for their artistry for the rest of my life. I have a good reed guy now, one of the rare ones who never sends an unplayable reed, but he's been "discovered" and sometimes gets backed up 5 or 6 weeks.

Doubtful I'll ever have the opportunity to play the Sibelius with an orchestra, but I have supporters in my current wind group who are trying to convince the director to program the wind arrangement of the 2nd movement of Dvořák's 9th, also a significant feature work for EH. But I'll be happy with Russian Christmas for the time being.

Currently, she's finding great rewards with (my three grandchildren) 1st, 3rd, 5th graders under her care. Her husband plays horn in the Pittsburgh. He's a good man and a good father. I posted some of his TMEA videos (for their family's Texas-based business) a couple of weeks ago. She's an exquisite reed-maker, but keeping the company's books is much more beneficial to the general effort...and easier on the hands.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Bnich93 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:54 am

Other than tuba I also play euphonium, bass trombone (new to me), guitar, bass(fretted, no good at upright), ukulele, melodica, keyboard(badly). Now hopefully one day one of my instruments can pay the bills.
2008 Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
1990s Mirafone 181 F w/Parker Cantabile 3 piece
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Postby Bob Kolada » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:03 pm

6:25 is just about the best use of French horns I've ever heard (not a fan normally...).
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Postby braedenheld » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:51 am

Euphonium, trombone, piano, and organ are the instruments that I play well other than my tuba, but of course nothing can ever separate me from my horn for too long.
braedenheld
lurker
lurker

Postby timayer » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:56 am

Electric bass, guitar, lute, in that order of proficiency.

Lute is much easier than tuba to practice at night when my daughter is asleep. And it is a very satisfying exercise to be studying an instrument that requires me to think about and produce coherent lines for several voices at once.
timayer
bugler
bugler

Postby MN_TimTuba » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:51 pm

During my educator years my very favorite was to play tuba parts on bari sax for pep bands. Currently I do bone, some trumpet, acoustic guitar, and more electric bass than anything besides tuba. Learning ukulele, need to take out the flute more often, and it's time to get some reeds for this Conn C Melody that I picked up a year ago. I do wish there was a dixieland group around here for tuba fun.
MN_Tim

Holton BBb 345
72 Sno Jet 440SST
MN_TimTuba
bugler
bugler

Postby tubapix » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:22 am

hmmm.... other than tuba I excel at setting up the band room for weekly rehearsals, coordinating with the director to design the concert setup, transportation of the bands trailer full of percussion to those concerts and coordinating with the stage manager about the final setup of the concert hall. All of this and working 40+ and taking 4 college courses this semester. Whew...I'm tired, going back to bed...NOT!
1989 Yamaha YBB 641 (4R)
1938 King 1236 Symphony Eb (4P) w/Monster Bell
1927 Buescher Eb Tuba
1940 Pan American 58C Eb Alto Horn
tubapix
bugler
bugler

Postby DavidBalcerzak » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:48 pm

Besides tuba, tenor horn ( alto horn ) baritone horn, euphonium, alto trombone, tenor trombone, bass trombone, contrabass trombone, cimbasso, all percussion, trumpet, Eb and Bb Bass trumpet, french horn, wagner tuba, soprano alto tenor and bass ukulele, soprano alto tenor and bass recorders, piano, and orgran
DavidBalcerzak
lurker
lurker

Postby Three Valves » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:09 pm

When I’m not making fart noises with my tuba, I’m making fart noises with my hands and underarms...
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
FaxxHB
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Charlie C Chowder » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:14 am

Ones I have played onstage with others, in front of the public. Tuba, guitar, cello, various saxes, flute, NA Flute and a Roland electronic Saxophone. Toys not played with in public. Piano, T-bone, baritone, full set of recorders, various eastern flutes, lute, Pipa, Pin, Koto and a couple of zithers I do not know the names of, harp, harpsichord, various guitars from bass to classical, cornet for the hope of improving my high end on the Bass clef brass, and several melodic percussion toys. No wonder my sight reading sucks. I have never made any money with my musical toys. And until this year, I usually played at home alone. Most expensive is a $15,000 guitar. Cheapest was a Triangle. Better then throwing it away on Women, booze and drugs. Worked hard to afford them. Drive cheap but reliable cars. Retired now and am giving as much time as I can get away with to practicing and playing, Still taking lessons.

Right now learning the three diminished scales,
Charlie C. Chowder
New cheapest!!! I was given a Carl Fischer (Beuscher stencil) C melody tenor sax. It is just short of a hundred years old. Plays great right out of the case.
Last edited by Charlie C Chowder on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

Postby IsaacTuba » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:30 am

Sometimes I'll double on bass trombone or french horn when our band really needs one. Luckily in high school I had the chance to play every wind instrument, from tuba to bassoon to flute. My tone on woodwinds is okay at best, I don't really sound resilient with any of them, but I can play them if needed. Having me play trumpet is a mistake, I can't play the thing for more than a few minutes.
Eastman 632 CC - EBC632
IsaacTuba
lurker
lurker

Postby Conn 2J CC » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:31 am

Nowadays I play mostly Bass Trombone, BBb and CC Tuba, and Bass Guitar. I occasionally play Tenor Trombone, and French Horn on rare occasion for musicals. I haven't had a Euphonium gig for at least a year or two. Years ago I played quite a bit of Flute and Tenor Sax for our church's praise band, and some Baritone and Euphonium Bugle for special music, but that's gone by the wayside.
Dave
Low Brass musician and Bass Guitarist
Conn 2J CC
bugler
bugler

Postby Levaix » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:47 am

Tuba. My primary is actually God's instrument, AKA the euphonium. I'm one of the few who actually started on euph and didn't let himself be bullied into filling a tuba spot. Eventually I picked it up as well but only once my euphonium primacy was safe. :P Aside from that, the only "main-line" brass instrument I haven't played in a concert setting is trombone. I've also played both tenor horn and true baritone in British-style brass bands, and I picked up a flugabone (actually an Olds "marching trombone" but that's significantly more boring) to play in a ska band for a while.

Aside from brass, my second instrument was actually flute. I enjoy playing ocarinas of various sizes and timbres (the ones from Charlie Hind are a favorite); they're a little easier to grab and start playing to just relax and wind down compared to a big hunk of brass. (Also less likely to wake up the neighbors.) For when I want to amuse and/or annoy friends and family I have a couple vintage Hohner melodicas. No strings for me, for better or worse. Depending on how I feel that day I know somewhere between one and two and a half chords on guitar. Having gotten partially through a music ed degree I did learn some basics on the reed woodwinds, but most of that is forgotten.

In one notable performance of Maslanka's A Child's Garden of Dreams I did perform a crucial solo on an Acme slide whistle.
Levaix
bugler
bugler

Postby ScottM » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:26 pm

I dabble on recorder as it was my original instrument and still play it some for church. I actually play some alphorn and played it at the Midwest Alphorn Retreat and played for the opening preconcert for the International Horn Society Conference in August.
ScottM
ScottM
bugler
bugler

Postby Gus_Pratt » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:37 pm

I was a tuba major in college, and doubled on trombone, both bass and tenor. The year before I dropped I, the director took in a bunch of trombonist for jazz, so I auditioned for trumpet and was accepted for the college jazz band. I also played French horn in high school. For my own in enjoyment I learned to play flute, saxes (alto through bass), classical guitar, keyboards (I built a double manual harpsichord from kit form) and harp. I own an early 1800's single action concert harp that I occasionally play paid gigs on.
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Postby Davidus1 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:39 pm

Tuba (former Army Band player), Bass Guitar (played in jazz groups in the army, still play in church, Upright Bass, Euphonium, Trombone (Play 3rd bone in a big band and play at church).
John 3:16

Miraphone 186 BBb
Mack Brass 200S BBb
Yamaha YSL-630 .525 Trombone
Conn 15I Euphonium
Mack Brass Euphonium
Conn Victor 5H Trombone
Yamaha Trombone YSL354
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Postby MaryAnn » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:01 pm

paid $$ ...organ, violin, electric guitar, bass guitar, horn, voice
performed on....piano, classical guitar, flat-pickin' guitar, mandolin, crumhorn, recorder, cornet, euph, tuba, oboe, english horn, percussion minus mallets
play plenty well enough to do either but they always wanted me on first fiddle....viola (no jokes; it's a beautiful instrument and my favorite position in a string quartet.)
As to which ones are dabblings, you'd have to judge for yourself.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

PreviousNext

Return to TubeNet