I bet this thing plays like a million bucks...

The bulk of the musical talk
Charlie Goodman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Charlie Goodman »

That's an amazing horn, and I refuse to believe it would play well enough not to be a disappointment.
trop2000
bugler
bugler

Post by trop2000 »

If it's the same horn, which it looks like it is, I played it once at Interlochen, where it used to live on display. It definitely looks cool with all the engraving etc., but it played only okay, which is not surprising given the age. There ain't many 19th century brass instruments that are better than what we call average these days -- just my opinion. $250,000 ????? Seriously???? We're talking about an average trombone with a cool history. Personally I could see a collector paying MAYBE $10,000. Maybe. Quarter million? Sheesh!
ufoneum
3 valves
3 valves

Great Horn - but, should it be for sale?

Post by ufoneum »

Anyone who knows anything about the history of the wind band, or even the history of the brass soloist knows something about Arthur Pryor. There is so much history in that horn, it seems tacky that Dillons would sell it for a profit. That thing belongs in a museum where everyone can appreciate it - not simply in some rich guys house. They should be ashamed of themselves.
Assistant Prof. of Music - Kentucky Wesleyan College (Owensboro, KY)
Buffet Crampon and Besson Performing Artist
Conductor, River Brass Band (Evansville, IN)
Treasurer, International Tuba Euphonium Association
facebook.com/stuckemeyer
patstuckemeyer.com