Sousaphone gigbag advise

The bulk of the musical talk
Joemac
bugler
bugler

Sousaphone gigbag advise

Post by Joemac »

Hi. I need a gigbag for a sousaphone. I’m looking at one made by protec for approximately $250. Is there anything else I should be looking at? Any less expensive ones? It’s for an inexpensive fiberglass Sousa. I’m not sure how much the gigbags actually protect the horn anyway. If I were to just be looking at an easy way to carry the horn with backpack straps is there a better option? Thanks.
Tubainsauga

Re: Sousaphone gigbag advise

Post by Tubainsauga »

Be warned: the backpack straps on the ProTec are basically useless as they are far too long.
Joemac
bugler
bugler

Post by Joemac »

Ok thanks. That’s not great news.
cthompsonjr
bugler
bugler

Post by cthompsonjr »

The straps on the new style ProTec gig bag are adjustable and not as long as the previous style. The bag works very well for my Conn 20KS sousaphone. It should work just as well for your fiberglass sousaphone. Dillon's Music has it for $195 w/free shipping.
Joemac
bugler
bugler

Post by Joemac »

Unfortunately Dillon looks to be out of them. They aren’t listed.
cthompsonjr
bugler
bugler

Post by cthompsonjr »

Try the link below.

https://www.dillonmusic.com/protec-sous ... black.html" target="_blank
Joemac
bugler
bugler

Post by Joemac »

Thanks. Got it.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

It's probably not the answer you wanted.

Since I purchased a fibreglass sous I leave my gig bag at home.
They bag doesn't really protect it and I just have to take it out of the bag to play it and then put it back in. My car's trunk is lined with carpet and it fits snugly back there so it's not getting damaged in transport.

So I just started asking myself; why do I bother? It goes from my studio to the trunk to the gig and back. I don't find a gig bag makes it easier to carry. No gig bag; thats easy! A sousaphone has a big whole in it. It can't get easier. And if you have to walk far put the bell on.
My 2 cents
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

I bought a Pro Tec sousaphone gig bag for my custom CC sousaphone that Lee Stofer made for me. I was concerned about banging it up. Well, after using the bag on a few gigs, I found it wasn't worth the hassle. When you put the thing on your back using the straps provided, it's not like carrying a tuba. It should come with a sign on it that says, caution, wide load. Good luck getting through doorways and tight spots with this load on your back. The bag does come with a removable padded bell protector. I just use that. I keep the bell in the bell protector when transporting and storing. ( I hang the sousaphone on my wall.) The protector comes in handy when laying the bell in the trunk of my car and then just dropping the body over it. Then, I use the car's luggage net to secure it and keep it from sliding around. Then, I just try and carefully carry the horn around, either in 2 separate pieces or I carry the whole thing to where I'm playing it. It depends on the gig and where I'm parked. The bag itself now resides in my attic.
Joemac
bugler
bugler

Post by Joemac »

pjv wrote:It's probably not the answer you wanted.

Since I purchased a fibreglass sous I leave my gig bag at home.
They bag doesn't really protect it and I just have to take it out of the bag to play it and then put it back in. My car's trunk is lined with carpet and it fits snugly back there so it's not getting damaged in transport.

So I just started asking myself; why do I bother? It goes from my studio to the trunk to the gig and back. I don't find a gig bag makes it easier to carry. No gig bag; thats easy! A sousaphone has a big whole in it. It can't get easier. And if you have to walk far put the bell on.
My 2 cents

That’s totally legitimate. It’s actually not for me. The horn might end up mine at some point though. The owner is lending it out for a festival and is hoping that the case will give the lendee a little more insentive to take proper care of it. Personally I would never lend it to anyone. I rarely see that story end well.
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

Messina Covers in Louisville, Kentucky make sousaphone gig bags. They are on FaceBook and can be found on Google as well.
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

Boston is what I have. Nice aspect (at least with the years they made my bag) is that theirs a separate bell bag. So you can put the bell section in the sousaphone "doughnut whole" (as is usual) but you can also choose not to do this (duh). This can be preferable with getting it into a some cars (or over packed situations) but also getting in and out of some small and uncomfortable venues (small, steep stairways).
As well with a brass sous (which is heavier) and a trombone and stands, etc I have to go back to the car for a second time (sometimes third) anyway. I like to "split" the sous then as well because it's handier and lighter.

Good luck
bh2001
lurker
lurker

Post by bh2001 »

I use a Gard gig bag and it seems very sturdy. You can use the backpack straps and it's well padded.