Rim preference on Sellmansberger Symphony MP

The bulk of the musical talk
colintoobah
lurker
lurker

Rim preference on Sellmansberger Symphony MP

Post by colintoobah »

Hi all,

I play on a JB (Mack Brass) 410s CC Tuba and have only played it with my PT-50.
The only other mouthpiece I've ever really used on it is my old Bach 18 (Negligible).
My PT-50 works well for what I do as a high school player, but I feel like I could get even more out of my tuba.

I was looking through the forums earlier and started reading The Elephant's JB 410 improvement thread. I couldn't help but notice his mention of how well the Sellmansberger Symphony works with this tuba. I figured it'd be worth a shot to scrape up the money and get one of these, however, I have no clue which rim to get. While there is a clearly labeled Symphony Cup and Shank, there is not a clearly labeled rim. This isn't necessarily a problem, I just don't know which to choose. Comparing the Spec sheet with the PT-50 Specs it looks like maybe the M.O.32.0A would be a good fit given that they only have a 0.01mm difference, but should I even stick with a rim the same size?

Looking for assistance.
Thanks,
Colin Teague,
Woodford County High School

MACK 410S 4/4 CC
Conn 15J 3/4 BBb
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Re: Rim preference on Sellmansberger Symphony MP

Post by Bnich93 »

Call Bloke, i'm sure he could set you up with the perfect one.
Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
John Packer 377s w/Parker Cantabile
Levaix
bugler
bugler

Post by Levaix »

First off, let me ask you: What do you like about your PT-50? What do you dislike? There are obviously a ridiculous amount of mouthpieces out there to try, and if you can start to narrow down what you're looking for, this is going to make the search significantly easier. The PT-50 is NOT a "starting point" mouthpiece by any means, and it's easy to get sucked into upgrade mentality. It's much more important to figure out what works for you specifically. And even more so, when to just stop and start improving with what you've got already... (I am speaking from a surplus of experience in this area. lol)

All that being said, I DO like the blokepiece Symphony, and it IS a good all-around piece, sooooo...

There are going to be nearly as many different answers to your question as there are people who read this. In my opinion, the #2 rim is the one to get in terms of comfort and user-friendliness. I don't put much stock in the idea of using the same rim size throughout your life. Many people disagree with me (many of them MUCH better players), but I play such a large variety of horns it's never been feasible, and I find the right equipment for the right horn is the right choice. The full-size "original" #2 rim gives me the broadest, fullest sound from the Symphony. In all honesty, though, I also played the 2A for months, and if it was more comfortable for someone, it's not like it was a night and day difference. If you (or your parents) don't mind putting a couple things on a credit card for a couple weeks, I don't think bloke would mind sending you a few options to decide which you like best. He'd definitely be worth giving a call if you're considering this.
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

Bnich93 wrote:Call Bloke, i'm sure he could set you up with the perfect one.
Agreed, you will get lots of unscientific anecdotal responses like mine from the amateur gallery as opposed to the TNFJ. Why not give a call to Bloke as suggested, as he freely offers advice old school, over the phone.

I believe comments like mine don't hurt with the important disclaimer to talk it out with professionals after educating yourself a bit.

The OP mentions playing on a PT-50 already so..... just sayin' a 32mm rim might feel small to you. FWIW and YMWV (your mileage will vary), I've got a Symphony set-up with the #2 33.2, the Profundo #2 33.2, the Mouthpiece Ordnance Mod Hbg 33.2, and a PT-50 (for comparison). Of note, my embouchure is not nearly developed well enough to securely handle the challenges of truly larger pieces like the GW Bayamo (which do sound great with my horn). With my Symphony setup I get decent control and it makes playing more enjoyable. The MO Mod Hbg sharper inner rim gives me more secure articulation over the more rounded inner rims of the 33.2 #2 AND the PT-50. Slurs and range are pretty much now a wash but, in the beginning, each suffered a bit with the sharper internal rim, especially low range. I don't play all day so comfort is not an issue. I also got the Profundo and Delrin cup extender figuring, why not? But, interestingly I get better "traction" if you will down low and such notes speak better for me WITHOUT use of the Profundo #2 or cup extender. All this is really just info to help when you speak with the man himself. Good luck!
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)