Have you ever put musket balls in your tuba?

The bulk of the musical talk
SRanney
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SRanney »

Maybe using them to roll out dents?

I've heard that one could roll out some dings in horns using metal balls and magnets - put the ball on the inside of the horn and the magnet on the outside and voila! No more dings.

Just my thoughts.

SR
Carroll
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Carroll »

Uhh, I would suspect that the musket balls are made from some low melting point metal (i.e. lead) and not from some ferrous metal (i.e.steel) thus a magnet would have no attraction. Any other ideas? :wink:
Carroll
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Carroll »

Oh.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I use brass ball drivers... as I suspect most other repairmen also do. However, I can see where lead ball drivers would work, too.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Depleted uranium'd probably work just fine too.
:lol:
Dean E
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Dean E »

TubaTinker wrote:I use brass ball drivers... as I suspect most other repairmen also do. However, I can see where lead ball drivers would work, too.
I used lead bolt anchors (for concrete and masonry) to drive out a plastic bottle of valve oil
that was wedged pretty far down inside my bellfront horn that the previous owner had not played since the 1950's.
Dean E
[S]tudy politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy . . . in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry [and] music. . . . John Adams (1780)
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

schlepporello wrote:
Carroll wrote:Uhh, I would suspect that the musket balls are made from some low melting point metal (i.e. lead) and not from some ferrous metal (i.e.steel) thus a magnet would have no attraction. Any other ideas? :wink:
A little wadding, some black powder, a little fuse..........
... and a kick like a mule! :shock:

(also, another use for bell-front tubas -- shooting around corners! :twisted: )
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Chuck(G) wrote:Depleted uranium'd probably work just fine too.
:lol:

Hmmm.... THAT might be fun! Where can I get some? :shock:
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

tubafreaks7 wrote: Along the lines of dent removal, has anyone used an earth magnate? My tech used one on my horn to get to dents in the second wrop of my tuba. It worked well.
You can buy rare-earth magnets from http://www.wondermagnet.com. The company is also known as 'Forcefield'. I bought several of the large 1 5/8" diameter magnets and built my own dent remover several years ago. I shoved the magnets into reinforced 1 1/2" ID vinyl tubing and added a steel plug with a 1/2-20 holed tapped in the backside. I works well with a slide hammer on stubborn dents in reinforced areas. I have to be very carefull when doing 'finicky' work... but on school horns it's a blessing to have. Large steel balls are available from McMaster-Carr.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

HeliconMan wrote:There was a tuba player, now deceased, that hooked up a small propane bottle to his tuba...
Says it all...

Reminds me of the old tall tale about the Uruguayan bass trombonist playing the 1812 Overture...
http://www.wardle.demon.co.uk/humour/1812.html