Eastman tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
SouthernOhio53
bugler
bugler

Eastman tubas

Post by SouthernOhio53 »

Are Eastman Tubas made in China, and has anyone played the EEb?
Kent A. Wellman
Tubatunes53@gmail.com" target="_blank" target="_blank"

Miraphone 5050
Miraphone 494
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Eastman tubas

Post by DouglasJB »

Yes, they are made in China, the Eb is a fun horn to play, I have only spent a short time with it, but there are several professionals who use the Eb. Scott Sutherland may comment on yhis, he will have more information.
SouthernOhio53
bugler
bugler

Post by SouthernOhio53 »

Great thanks so much DouglasJB!! Mr. Sutherland, can you tell me more about it please? As a matter of background, I play a Miraphone 187 5-valve BBb in concert bands and orchestra, and double on Euphonium (Miraphone 5050). I want to add an EEb to use primarily for quintets.
Kent A. Wellman
Tubatunes53@gmail.com" target="_blank" target="_blank"

Miraphone 5050
Miraphone 494
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I’m giving the 562 another look at the Army conference (I hope) and the GR51 if available...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
gary
bugler
bugler

Post by gary »

Scott Mendoker plays the Eastman Eb.
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Post by Steginkt »

Not Scott, but I did have a chance to listen to him perform on what I'm guessing was a prototype over the summer (Krump). He sounded great on the horn, and has since switched to a wider bell rim model in silver plate. I myself had the chance to play one at midwest last year and really enjoyed the low weight and agility of the machine.
Yamaha Xeno YSL-8820
Willson 3400 Eb
Lyon and Healy Sousaphone
5/4 Rudolf Meinl CC
Wessex trumpet
Scott Sutherland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Scott Sutherland »

DouglasJB wrote:Yes, they are made in China, the Eb is a fun horn to play, I have only spent a short time with it, but there are several professionals who use the Eb. Scott Sutherland may comment on yhis, he will have more information.
I have played the 853 for about a year and love it. Check out any of my recent YouTube videos: https://www.youtube.com/scottsutherlandmusic" target="_blank for playing examples. My only complaint is that the third slide is too long (B at the top of the staff is very low) and I recently had Eastman cut mine. I believe they will be doing the same modification for future 853's. Beyond that, the sound is beautiful, the horn plays very well in tune and I can play higher on this instrument than any horn I have every owned. It is truly a do-it-all horn.
Scott Sutherland
Artist Teacher of Tuba and Euphonium
University of Redlands
Eastman Music Company Artist and Clinician
https://www.youtube.com/c/scottsutherlandmusic" target="_blank
https://www.scottsutherlandmusic.com" target="_blank
jtuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by jtuba »

cktuba wrote:Anyone had a chance to play the EBB562 since this was originally posted? If Chris Olka is looking... maybe a T&E video candidate? Also are there any 0lans for a 5/4 CC? I would guess probably not since they have the 4/4 and 6/4 market so well covered. But something along the line of the Wyvern or a CC version of the 562 (if it plays as well as it's B&S counterpart) would be great.
I really enjoy playing my 562, I've used it in bands and think it has plenty of sound to be present. Haven't tried it with an orchestra, but I think it's plenty big enough for that if needed. What other info are you looking for?
Adjunct Tuba Professor, Christopher Newport University
Eastman Artist

Chris Olka
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Chris Olka »

We’re currrently experimenting with the addition of a 5th valve as well as rewrapping the 4th, along with a few other modifications to improve an already great BBb tuba! Hoping to have it at the Army Conference!
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0G3Sz9Y ... zVT7IJRaHQ" target="_blank
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0h-vL8E ... XudsIaytLQ" target="_blank
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0lNql3f ... ne4sGVNtlg" target="_blank
Chris Olka
Cincinnati Symphony
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

I'll have to ask again: why is Eastman so slow in putting up pictures of their forthcoming and released new instruments? The front-valve compensating Eb has been out for a while. The price lists show 3 bell sizes; it also mentions a 3/4 3+1 compensating Eb with a 14-1/2" bell and a 4/4 3+1 comp Eb with a 15" bell. Dealers can't seem to get pictures to put up and almost nobody knows what these horns look like outside of some of Scott Sutherland's excellent videos. The new F, BBb, and CC tubas other than the 6/4, the same.

Please Eastman, let us see what's going on. I'm in the market for a new Eb, but I'm not buying blind.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Chris Olka
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Chris Olka »

It’s a 562 as the base platform. We’re going to do a number of mods to it over the next few months to see what works. Regarding a comparison between the 562 and a GR51, I’d say that they are very similar, with the differences between them being chalked up to just variances from horn to horn. I’ve played some good and bad GR51s, and the same for the 562. Hopefully we can improve upon the original design in a meaningful way. Stay tuned!
Chris Olka
Cincinnati Symphony