Tuxedos are for coachmen and weddings, not concerts. Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: Tuxedos are for coachmen and weddings, not concerts.

Postby BrassedOn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:37 pm

bloke wrote:btw...Cummerbunds are supposed to be worn with the folds pointing upward, not downward. Many online pictures of them (for sale) display them upside-down, as photographers and website creators do not know this.

Hence, "crumb-catchers" for cummerbunds.
"Do less, better."
2001 King 2341UB BBb
1977 Fender P Bass
1970s King 3b Silver Sonic
1987 Bach 42BO
1990 Getzen 1062 Bass Trombone (Stacked, Dependent)
19xx? Blessing Sousaphone BBb
BrassedOn
bugler
bugler

Postby BrassedOn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:39 pm

David Richoux wrote:Best uniform I ever wore was when I played with the “Be Natural Jazz Band” - black bow tie and towel! (We played at several Naturalist resorts in California.)
'

I hear the band really swung.
"Do less, better."
2001 King 2341UB BBb
1977 Fender P Bass
1970s King 3b Silver Sonic
1987 Bach 42BO
1990 Getzen 1062 Bass Trombone (Stacked, Dependent)
19xx? Blessing Sousaphone BBb
BrassedOn
bugler
bugler

Postby toobagrowl » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:45 pm

I still have the tux I bought back in college. Of course, I've gotten fatter since then, so I just use black dress pants to go with the tux coat. I lost my cummerbund years ago :? But I still have the clip-on bow tie. Sometimes I just use a regular white dress shirt with the outfit if the tux ruffle shirt isn't clean. Noone seems to notice. Not gonna spend a lot of money on a stupid penguin suit I don't wear very often. I did buy some decent black dress shoes a couple years ago that still look great.
Other gigs have me wearing 'pit black' , some Polo shirt outfit, or something else :!:
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Postby iiipopes » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:58 am

David Richoux wrote:Best uniform I ever wore was when I played with the “Be Natural Jazz Band” - black bow tie and towel! (We played at several Naturalist resorts in California.)

Um, that would be "Naturist." A "Naturalist" is a person who studies history, philosophy, etc., the "natural laws of the universe." Yes, a person could be both, but make sure if you are invited to a naturalist philosophy discussion, you don't show up without clothes on!
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Postby iiipopes » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:00 am

toobagrowl wrote:I still have the tux I bought back in college. Of course, I've gotten fatter since then, so I just use black dress pants to go with the tux coat. I lost my cummerbund years ago :? But I still have the clip-on bow tie. Sometimes I just use a regular white dress shirt with the outfit if the tux ruffle shirt isn't clean. Noone seems to notice. Not gonna spend a lot of money on a stupid penguin suit I don't wear very often. I did buy some decent black dress shoes a couple years ago that still look great.
Other gigs have me wearing 'pit black' , some Polo shirt outfit, or something else :!:

[Sigh!] Does nobody dress appropriately for the job anymore and view wardrobe as an investment instead of simply something to try to avoid spending money on?
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Postby Donn » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:05 am

It's a costume, to be seen from a distance. Once that objective is satisfied, the rest is up to you. If fine garments make your day better, that's great, or a lucky rabbit's foot or silver dollar - whatever floats your boat.
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby bloke » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:16 pm

Donn wrote:It's a costume, to be seen from a distance. Once that objective is satisfied, the rest is up to you. If fine garments make your day better, that's great, or a lucky rabbit's foot or silver dollar - whatever floats your boat.

me...??

chicken pot pie and pan-fried Vienna sausages - cut lengthwise
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Donn » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:33 pm

Best not to spend a lot on clothes, then.
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby David Richoux » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:16 am

mikebmiller wrote:Was it "good naked" or "bad naked?"

Good - family style resorts, very nice company. I did it 3 times, the band maybe had eight
gigs altogether.
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves

Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Postby David Richoux » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:18 am

iiipopes wrote:

Um, that would be "Naturist." A "Naturalist" is a person who studies history, philosophy, etc., the "natural laws of the universe." Yes, a person could be both, but make sure if you are invited to a naturalist philosophy discussion, you don't show up without clothes on!

Damn spellcheck! I knew I was somewhat close...
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves

Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Postby Mtrhed » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:12 pm

Check with your local tux rental shop, chances are they have an outlet attached to their distribution center. These outlets sell tuxes and all the parts a pieces dirt cheap. Some bargain tux’s that maybe last years style ,(Still too trendy for me!), but I’ve also bought some jackets from my local outlet that have never been worn. eBay is also a good source just know your sizes. If you shop around a bit you can get a tux for less then the cost of a new set of jeans, loafers, and name brand shirt.
If you need to wear a tux more then twice a year you should just buy one outright. As much as I like wearing tuxedos, sometimes, for certain performances, I just prefer wearing “Concert Black”. I always seem to play better when I’m dressed up. If you look like a winner....
Mtrhed
Keizer,OR
1912-14 Martin BB 6/4 rotary valve top-action
Conn BB 21J -F/A 4+1 conversion "Conn-Zilla"
2014 Wessex "Mighty Midget"
1918 York BB Model #33
King BB 1241 w/both bells
Caravelle B Commuter
Bruscher B Helicon
Mtrhed
bugler
bugler

Postby Three Valves » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:59 am

iiipopes wrote:
toobagrowl wrote:I still have the tux I bought back in college. Of course, I've gotten fatter since then, so I just use black dress pants to go with the tux coat. I lost my cummerbund years ago :? But I still have the clip-on bow tie. Sometimes I just use a regular white dress shirt with the outfit if the tux ruffle shirt isn't clean. Noone seems to notice. Not gonna spend a lot of money on a stupid penguin suit I don't wear very often. I did buy some decent black dress shoes a couple years ago that still look great.

[Sigh!] Does nobody dress appropriately for the job anymore and view wardrobe as an investment instead of simply something to try to avoid spending money on?

Dressing smartly reeks of western paternal classism, you, sir, are a fuddy-daddy!! :tuba:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
FaxxHB
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:59 pm

...and who - in an orchestra - does not have - in their case - an emergency white cardboard bow tie and paperclip?
bloke

Previous

Return to TubeNet