Tuba trios recommendations

The bulk of the musical talk
Tubaru
bugler
bugler

Tuba trios recommendations

Post by Tubaru »

I am in need of a tuba trio for an upcoming chamber music concert at the end of this month. We were only given notice about it a couple days ago and I am having trouble finding suitable music. All three of us could play bass or contra bass tuba or a combination of both or the top part could be played on euphonium. We also need the music as quick as possible (downloadable if preferred) as our rehearsal time is limited.

We cannot use arrangements of pop tunes nor would arrangements of folk songs, sea shanty’s, etc be appropriate for the concert. I have checked the usual sources, ie Cimarron, SheetMusicPlus, etc and have not found anything suitable. Yes I have seen Ludus by Nelhybel but it is too difficult for us to work up I time.

Would prefer something from the late Classical up to Contemporary maybe even some jazz influence. Anyone have suggestions?
Wessex Chicago-York CC
Wessex Linz F
Wessex Dolce EP100GB
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Tuba trios recommendations

Post by Ken Herrick »

Anton Reicha (1770-1836) Horn-Trios op. 82

On IMSLP free download. Print and you can read as bass clef with the usual add 3 flats transposition.

Harvey used these as good, musical, tutorial material.

Other trio material could be found and worked in same or similar manner.
Free to tuba: good home
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

I second the Reicha Trios. I played them numerous times with Harvey and others. I also played them in a bar after a symphony audition with 2 other tuba players. After our performance (of all 6 trios), we were treated like rock stars at that place. I'll stop there.
besson900
bugler
bugler

Post by besson900 »

I dont know how advanced tuba players are gonna play it but this is a great trio with beautiful story

https://youtu.be/7yngRZCtB9I" target="_blank
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

I also like the Reicha trios, there is an arrangement available on Cimmaron written for two euphs and tuba which is available as a download. The top parts sits nicely on euphonium (only goes to the Ab a couple times, mostly stays below the G) and the two bottom parts shouldn't be an issue for bass tuba, and you could drop couple things down the octave for the third part if you want to play it on contrabass, although its all quite playable where it is.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb