Suggestions for heavy piston valve springs, anyone?

The bulk of the musical talk
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Suggestions for heavy piston valve springs, anyone?

Post by WC8KCY »

Hey, everyone:

My tubas, both of them vintage piston valve instruments, could use some heavier springs to make the action snappier. Any suggestions?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Suggestions for heavy piston valve springs, anyone?

Post by bort »

How old are the springs you have right now? If they are original, then maybe just start with new springs, and not necessarily "heavy" springs.
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

bort wrote:How old are the springs you have right now? If they are original, then maybe just start with new springs, and not necessarily "heavy" springs.
I've had both tubas for nearly 10 years and haven't changed the springs. I am using heavier oil nowadays and could use a little extra spring action.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Related questions...

Do piston springs in brass instruments, even in very old instruments, ever actually wear out provided they've not been "messed with" (stretched, cut, re-wound, etc.)? How much use can they generally take?

This is not a commentary on the original poster's request, just a couple questions that came to mind from reading the thread.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

Thanks again for your insights, everyone--I knew you'd come through for me, as always...

Ended up ordering two sets of King springs--Besson and Mead springs don't seem to be readily available from online retailers in the USA.
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

Tom wrote:Related questions...

Do piston springs in brass instruments, even in very old instruments, ever actually wear out provided they've not been "messed with" (stretched, cut, re-wound, etc.)? How much use can they generally take?

This is not a commentary on the original poster's request, just a couple questions that came to mind from reading the thread.
Y'know, I've wondered the same thing myself about old springs. Bronze needle springs on old woodwind instruments tend to require tweaking to restore lost tension; it would seem logical that an old coil spring could lose some of its oomph, too.