Rudolph Meinl tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
tubadoctor
bugler
bugler

Re: Rudolph Meinl tubas

Post by tubadoctor »

I recently picked up an old 3/4 CC Rudy... I've only had her for a few days, but I'm in love already... makes me wonder if the current owner of my old 5/4 Rudy CC might be on the board here somewhere? Looking back, I had no idea what I had at the time... hehe... I was just a young idiot, freshly graduated from college with a bumped up credit limit on a trip to Dillon's... Ended up with a used Rudy... She was one of Rex Martin's old horns, from what I was told... you'd know if you have her because there were rather unique, beefy slide pulls on 1st and 3rd slides... one on the first was huge gauge brass and kind of teardrop shaped... the third was a large circle on the end of some rectangular stock... It had nice engraving on each of the spatulas, and may or may not still have a Dillon AGR on... If you are out there, read this, and live anywhere near the greater northeast of our united states, let me know if I can visit her one of these days...
tubadoctor
bugler
bugler

Post by tubadoctor »

So. I did hear back from her current owner, but lost the email traffic. If you are still on this forum and see this message please let me know. I did pick up Ted cox’s old Rudy 5/4 CC and love it as much as I remember loving my old horn. Would really dig a side by side someday when the whole pandemic thing isn’t as crazy as it is now.
Renodoc
bugler
bugler

Post by Renodoc »

I'm taking lessons from Russ and got to play one of his Rudy's a few weeks ago. Awesome instruments.
Andy Pasternak
Family Doc in the Biggest Little City
Hirsbrunner HB7
tubeast
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubeast »

This summer, on a trip to my Folks, I took a detour and stopped by the home of all Rudies in Diespeck, Germany.
Mr. Meinl himself let me in and took the time to chat and let me try all the horns present.
During non-covid-summers, the Workshop would have been busy with overhaul work from orchestras, but not this year.
No easy times...

I tried all Rotary F- and BBb sizes, but had only two Hours of spare time. Next time I´ll get the Chance, I´ll try to concentrate on maybe two specimen.

The ones I instantly connected to were a 5/4 BBb and a 4/4 F. The 6/4 Behemoth was awesome too, but I definitely think I´d have to relearn to breathe to really appreciate what that horn could do. Surprisingly accessible and reliable highest register (c´-f´)

Every time I get home from a trip like that, all excited about some different model such as Hagen, Siegfried, or Fasolt, I play my trusted Willson and SMILE.
Hans
Melton 46 S
1903 or earlier GLIER Helicon, customized Hermuth MP
2009 WILLSON 6400 RZ5, customized GEWA 52 + Wessex "Chief"
MW HoJo 2011 FA, Wessex "Chief"
highsierra
bugler
bugler

Post by highsierra »

Here is a photo of my Rudolf Meinl tubas...the 5/4 RM50 red brass CC on the left and the RM4345 rotary on the left....love the heck out of both!

Russ Dickman
Rudolf Meinl RM50 CC
Rudolf Meinl 4345 Rotary CC
Miraphone 283 "Norwegian Star"
http://www.renophil.com
joshwirt
pro musician
pro musician

Post by joshwirt »

^^^^^^^

*drooling*