FOUR new tubas from Eastman Winds

The bulk of the musical talk
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: FOUR new tubas from Eastman Winds

Post by bisontuba »

Did Matt Walters design this new 4/4 CC tuba (832)?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Doc wrote:I wonder what the differences are between the 632 and the 832...?
The difference is 200. :wink:
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

I'm a little surprised that Eastman would put forth yet another PT clone rotary F. Is there no other shape that a rotary F tuba can assume?
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Mark Finley wrote:
Ken Crawford wrote:I'm a little surprised that Eastman would put forth yet another PT clone rotary F. Is there no other shape that a rotary F tuba can assume?

Does BMB have one?
Yes!
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

bisontuba wrote:
Mark Finley wrote:
Ken Crawford wrote:I'm a little surprised that Eastman would put forth yet another PT clone rotary F. Is there no other shape that a rotary F tuba can assume?

Does BMB have one?
Yes!
BMB makes rotary tubas? And a rotary F at that? It's not listed in the catalogue and I don't recall hearing anything about it...
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Mark Finley wrote:My question about BMB was preceded by a question about piston F tubas. It didn't make the cut when quoted by bisontuba

Sorry ‘bout that...yes, BMB piston F’s only, in 16, 17, or 18” bell sizes....
J.Harris
bugler
bugler

Post by J.Harris »

I own one of the EBE-853's so they are available. Intonation is quite good. Not perfect, of course, but very manageable. Great response and a solid low register. I'm very pleased with the instrument.
Jason C. Harris
lowtones425
bugler
bugler

Post by lowtones425 »

Mark Finley wrote:Well what do you know... An Eastman piston F
Woah. Awesome!
Eastman 6/4 CC - Laskey 30HE
Rudy Meinl 4/4 F - Breslmair F3
Conn 2J 3/4 CC - Eastman Paperweight
Olds BBb Sousaphone - Tin Can
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

Kind of looks like a 45SLP. Hopefully it will demolish buildings on that low F# like the MW! :twisted:
Slamson
bugler
bugler

Post by Slamson »

I've been playing a Petrushka for almost 4 years. Love it . I feel the need to tweak the "D" in the staff a little on long exposed notes but that's it. Played a PT-10p for about 10 years before that, and my first F was a Mahillion that I still have (for fun and travel).

My greatest fear is that the new Eastman will be comparable to the Petrushka... and that I should have waited until now to get rid of my Perantucci.
sorry, I don't do signatures.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Just to muddy the waters a little, an Eastman price list I saw referred to two 3+1 compensating Eb tubas, a 3/4 with a 14-and-a-fraction inch bell, and a 4/4 with a 15" bell. Does that ring a bell (so to speak) with anyone?
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

It does.
I got to play the 14” 3/4 Eb when I was out there and it was a great little horn. Lots of fun, played really easy.

I haven’t seen or played the 15” yet.

The new 4/4 seems a little bit taller and the valveset is more tucked into the body.
I haven’t played it yet, but I have it from 2 of our artists that it’s fracking AMAZING. Can’t wait to get mine.

I played an early prototype of the piston F tuba and it felt like the best of an 822 and 2250. Big sound, good intonation, with tonal flexibility.

I played the horn that was the inspiration for the rotary F (Roger Bobo’s PT8) and that was a player. Chris Olka said in his most recent video that it was great, but once again haven’t played it yet.

Take all of this with a grain of salt because I’m an artist, but Eastman is making some flipping killer stuff and it’s MORE than worth your time to give them a look.
B
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Thanks, Bill.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

bort wrote:
Doc wrote:I wonder what the differences are between the 632 and the 832...?
The difference is 200. :wink:
PTHBBBT.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

Mark Finley wrote:

How many affordable piston f tubas are there? Does BMB have one? Anyone else?
BMB does indeed have a fine F tuba. Gene Porkorny used one on a European tour some years ago, I haven't kept up to know if he still uses it, I do know he liked it then. These horns are quite reasonable on the used market. I like the ones with the crossbar in the back.

Dick Barth, who designed the horns, said the Eb BMB was just as good if not better. I've never played one.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Jim Brewer
bugler
bugler

Post by Jim Brewer »

The only difference I could find between the 632 and 832 is the 832 is a 632 with a 836 valve block. Wonder how that affects the horn?
Jim Brewer
Eastman 832
Meinl Weston model 30 CC #147
Pan American Eb 52J
Selmer Paris K-modified trombone
Shenandoah Conservatory '79
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Post by Matt Walters »

The only difference I could find between the 632 and 832 is the 832 is a 632 with a 836 valve block. Wonder how that affects the horn?
The Eastman EBC-832 prototype was brought by Dillon Music and I got to spend some time with it.
1) It was made with thinner brass so it indeed was noticeably lighter. That is something I always had wished for the EBC-632. The solid weight of the EBC-632 is the only complaint I have of that tuba as I get older and older each day. 10 years ago, I wouldn't have cared.

2) The EBC-832 is still .687" bore but the valve block is designed to look like the big brother EBC-836. i.e. valve caps, finger buttons, plus 4th valve casing ports and tubing wrap.

3) Right thumb operated 5th rotor was built as a top loader like the EBC-836 so 5th valve tubing is soldered in place and not removeable for the sake of servicing the 5th rotor as is the case of the EBC-632.

4) Main tuning slide crook is different.

Conclusion is I like the look and I like the feel of the lighter horn. But as of now, the from the factory EBC-632 tubas are playing better right out of the box than that prototype they did. My guess is something from right after the 4th valve through the 5th rotor is not yet ideal. My understanding is this horn is still a year away from production so that gives whoever is doing this horn time to get it to "Eastman Excellent".
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Matt Walters wrote:Right thumb operated 5th rotor was built as a top loader like the EBC-836 so 5th valve tubing is soldered in place and not removeable for the sake of servicing the 5th rotor as is the case of the EBC-632.
This is very interesting - - -

What is the bore of the 5th valve rotor on these horns (my guess would be 19mm, or thereabouts)? I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression that a "top loading" rotor was not possible on valves of this size.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Bobmecum
bugler
bugler

Post by Bobmecum »

I test played the EBF-864 five-rotor F tuba prototype last Saturday at the Twin cities Tuba Euphonium masters workshop. It's the most incredible 5 valve rotary F to life played in the last 4 years. Deanna Swoboda took it with her so if you wanna hear it find out where she's playing next. Across music courted me about $6300 for it In lacquer. $800 more for silver plate. Delivery in the August 2019 timeframe. Here's a picture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob Mecum
Minnetonka Symphony
Celebration Brass Quintet
Toreadors Four tuba/euph quartet

Mirafone 186 5U CC Lefty
Wessex Chicago Presence CC
M&M F 6 valve rotary
Mirafone Tenorhorn
King 3B Trombone