I am recovering from open heart surgery and have a question

The bulk of the musical talk
Mike Lopp
bugler
bugler

I am recovering from open heart surgery and have a question

Post by Mike Lopp »

Hello All:

One month ago I had 5 bypasses. I will spare you the details. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar procedure and how long it took them
to get back to playing and using air like they did before the operation. When did you begin playing again? (My doctor didn't really know) Any information would be helpful.

Mike Lopp
Member Greensboro Concert Band
Greensboro Community Tuba/Euphonium Ensemble
Charlotte Tuba/Euphonium Ensemble
Triad Community Band
BM and MM Music Education UNC-Greensboro
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: I am recovering from open heart surgery and have a quest

Post by bisontuba »

Best wishes on your recovery!
LCH3
bugler
bugler

Post by LCH3 »

I had a triple bypass and was 8 - 12 weeks before playing, but only because of the restriction on lifting more than 10 pounds. My air/breathing was/is actually better after the surgery. Surgery was 18 months ago.

All the best on your recovery.
Larry Haake
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Post by Patrase »

Hi

Did they have to cut open your chest? I had a replacement valve put in about 9 years ago. The biggest issue was the recovery from having my chest cut open. Initially it was a struggle to breath fully. I had to do rehab and part of that was breathing exercises. It would have been a few months before I could pick up my tuba and breath properly, maybe even 4 months. But it did come back in full. Saying that I was only in my early 30's when I had it done - so still relatively young.

Good luck
Miraphone Norwegian Star
Yamaha YBB-632 Bb Neo
Mike Lopp
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike Lopp »

Hi!
Thanks to everyone who answered. (Even Bloke) (Humor is good) I will set my sights on January and hope for the best.

Mike
Triad Community Band
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Mike, I have nothing to offer for help, but am quite glad (to say the least) that you are here on the other side asking about this.

All the best to you, and hope you end up 5x as good as before!
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

Hi Mike, Glad they got to it in time. A pal of mine had a triple bypass a few years ago. He was in a trio in the Majic Kingdom called "The Notorious Banjo Brothers and Bob".He took three months off and came back strong and is still doing well although the band got laid off after 18 years out there. and he transferred to front desk at a Disney hotel.If you would like I could PM you his number. All the best in your recovery. Ed
The Singing Whale
Mike Lopp
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike Lopp »

Thanks Ed

No, I think I have my answer and thanks!

Mike
Triad Community Band
David Zerkel
pro musician
pro musician

Post by David Zerkel »

Hi.

I had open heart surgery a couple of years back. Once you have passed the limitation on lifting threshold, you can be on your way back to playing. My experience is that the chops didn't lose a step but the ability to take a good breath was a slow recovery. I wondered if I'd make it back, but after a few months of lowered expectations and daily work, I was back.

Good luck with your surgery. I hope you come away from it healthier and happier than ever.

David
David Zerkel
Professor of Tuba and Euphonium
University of Michigan
dzerkel@umich.edu" target="_blank
Simonk
bugler
bugler

Post by Simonk »

OK - I'm a RN (UK) who has previously worked in cardiothoracics and also plays the tuba. There are a couple of issues here;
1 - you've had a sternotomy where your sternum has been opened and is now wired shut. This will limit lifting/ carrying for a while and will take some time/ exercise to get to the point where you're fully comfortable holding your weapon of choice in your normally comfortable position. Take it easy!
2 - probably more of an issue is the fact that both of your lungs would've been partially deflated to allow access into your cardiac plumbing. You will probably have had a chest drain in each side post-op and your lung function will take time to recover. Buzzing on a mouthpiece to start with is probably good, building to slow long tones, increasing time gradually before you get more adventurous. Some breathlessness, dull aches are probably ok, sharp pain not so. If it hurts, stop, rest, come back another day.

You've had major surgery and full function back to staus quo ante scalpel may not occur for 6-12 months post surgery. Take it easy, have patience, you'll get there
Willson EEb 3+1 (early 3400TA model)
Melton Meinl Weston 2045/5 EEb “Mr Tuba”
Wessex Dolce Euphonium
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Post by David Richoux »

A trumpeter in one of the bands I play in had open heart a few years ago. He had complications (pleurisy) and started coughing a lot. The surgeon had used normal staples in the closure, did not know the patient was a horn player. Even though my friend was somewhat elderly, he managed to pop the staples! He was still in the hospital so emergency surgery was done to replace the staples with bigger ones, he eventually recovered and was playing again within a few months.

I am not telling this as a horror story, more just as a word of caution - let your doctor know you are a horn player!
Mike C855B
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike C855B »

David Richoux wrote:... a word of caution - let your doctor know you are a horn player!
Quoted for truth. Over the last 15 years I've had a few procedures that would affect my ability to play, and after "Hello, how are you?" I respond to the surgeon with "I am a musician", do we need to do anything special?" It changed the recovery and therapy protocol on a hand injury, extended the recovery period on neck surgery ("oboe, yes, tuba, not for a while"), "no issues" other than lifting limits during the recovery period after a laparoscopic double hernia repair.

I have a pre-op consult this Friday with our ophthalmologist about a cataract procedure. It was delayed after telling his nurse on the last appointment that I play oboe and already knew that it is an intraocular pressure risk (as is trumpet), and with a solo-heavy important concert first week of December the surgery would have to wait. I was advised given the circumstances I might be out of commission for eight weeks, so if the surgery is delayed until January, it is probable the winter concert is off my calendar.
Miraphone 191 4-valve
1925 Conn 28J
Cerveny CEP 531-4M
Fox 880 "Sayen" (oops... that's an oboe) ;)
Mike Lopp
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike Lopp »

Wow!

Thank you all! That is all very good information.

Mike
Triad Community Band
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

I'm late to the party but the major issue should be flexibility in the chest during recovery. Breathing requires expansion and contraction of the upper thoracic region, especially with tuba playing which requires vast amounts of air. Recovery from that kind of trauma varies, start with short practice session and keep the dynamics low.

Tuba playing, trumpet playing according to Bud Herseth, doesn't require a lot of strain and push. Keep it gentle.

Good luck and wishes for a full recovery!
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Jim Brewer
bugler
bugler

Post by Jim Brewer »

Hey Buddy!

Just get well and your chair is still waiting for you. (we can push the other guys down toward the timpani!)
Jim
Jim Brewer
Eastman 832
Meinl Weston model 30 CC #147
Pan American Eb 52J
Selmer Paris K-modified trombone
Shenandoah Conservatory '79
Mike Lopp
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike Lopp »