Eb tubas with the BEST intonation?

The bulk of the musical talk
jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Eb tubas with the BEST intonation?

Post by jeopardymaster »

Jonathan, I just re-read your note on the 64 Eb and finally picked up on it. So the 2 versions will be one front action (4+1) instrument and one top action (3+1) instrument? Same bugle, just flipping it around? Or are you looking at a 3+1 front action horn?
Gnagey CC, VMI Neptune 4098 CC, Mirafone 184-5U CC and 56 Bb, Besson 983 EEb and euphonium, King marching baritone, Alexander 163 BBb, Conn 71H/112H bass trombone, Olds Recording tenor trombone.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

I played a Boosey & Hawkes Eb for about 10 years,the 981 model. I have always felt that it was the instrument with the least number of playing imperfections that I have ever played. The one thing I never adjusted to was the sound difference between low E and pedal Eb. It never seemed to affect John Fletcher.

The 984 (front action) was just about as good but the valve block is set oddly for me, I could never get any finger technique with that configuration.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

jeopardymaster wrote:Jonathan, I just re-read your note on the 64 Eb and finally picked up on it. So the 2 versions will be one front action (4+1) instrument and one top action (3+1) instrument? Same bugle, just flipping it around? Or are you looking at a 3+1 front action horn?
You understanding is correct;

1) 4-front piston with 5th rotor
2) 3-top piston and one side piston compensated

Same bell and bugle on both.
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Post by marccromme »

MW 2141 Eb is the most point-and-shoot with very just intonation all over the range I ever have tried. Definitely prefer it over any 19'' 4+1 comp Eb I had the chance to play. Don't know anything about Wilson 3400 and Norwegian Star.

Yamaha 321 4-valve non-compensated is also very fine. But you'l miss the 5th valve (or compensation) for the low register.
Yamaha YEB-321 Eb 4v TA tuba
Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb 5v FA tuba
Hirsbrunner Bb 3v TA compensated euph
Wessex Dolce Bb 3+1v TA compensated euph
Alto/tenor/bass trombones in various sizes/plugs
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

marccromme wrote:MW 2141 Eb is the most point-and-shoot with very just intonation all over the range I ever have tried.
Marc, How do you find the E above the staff? I previously had a 2141 and although overall it was a good tuba, the two things that I really did not like were; 1) Slotting of that E was difficult to say the least. I would prefer to play a solo with high E on my CC tuba than risk it on the 2141. 2) I found the valve block uncomfortably high and the tuba difficult to hold - in fact I had to always use a playing stand, as once it slipped while playing (no thumb ring) and hit me over the head with its bell to the amusement of everyone around :roll:
Teditiks
lurker
lurker

Post by Teditiks »

Wyvern wrote:
jeopardymaster wrote:Jonathan, I just re-read your note on the 64 Eb and finally picked up on it. So the 2 versions will be one front action (4+1) instrument and one top action (3+1) instrument? Same bugle, just flipping it around? Or are you looking at a 3+1 front action horn?
You understanding is correct;

1) 4-front piston with 5th rotor
2) 3-top piston and one side piston compensated

Same bell and bugle on both.

Just out of curiosity Jonathan, how come you don't consider the new 6/4 Eb equipped with z-valves? A big rotary Eb would be nice I think. Even maybe a serious alternative to the N Star perhaps....

/T
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Teditiks wrote: Just out of curiosity Jonathan, how come you don't consider the new 6/4 Eb equipped with z-valves? A big rotary Eb would be nice I think. Even maybe a serious alternative to the N Star perhaps....

/T
That is considered, but the trouble is the usual position of rotary valves mean if fitted to a piston tuba body will result in the tuba playing very flat - so it is not a simple switch of valve system. I think if we did do, the valve set up would have to be more like an Alexander 173 where the valves are on the bell side. Something Chuck Nickles and I will consider once the piston valve versions are out and we have a spare body to experiment.