King 2341 (New Model)

The bulk of the musical talk
KyleMG
bugler
bugler

Re: King 2341 (New Model)

Post by KyleMG »

That's what I played on when I was still in high school, and if I remember many of the schools in the area did as well. Loved it! If I wasn't majoring in music I probably would have ended up getting one.
Miraphone 188
Miraphone Firebird
BrassedOn
bugler
bugler

Post by BrassedOn »

I love mine. Play it routinely on everything but orchestral stuff. I used to have the old version with the 22" bell, and that was a bit much. But great big sound, super intonation. Now, I am glad to have the "new" version (18 years ago) with the revised bell and bottom bow. The actual prototype that toured the Army conference about 2001 or so.

Ultimately, it's about the player not the horn. However, to be honest, great horn, but. There's often a "but" even for those who have such affection. It's most at home in a concert band. Classic American tuba sound. The good kind of "tubby" for a real nice foundational pad for the rest of the band. I have subbed in regional orchestra with it. Not my usual bag. It was fine but not for all the lit. A bit heavy to strap on for Classic Jazz/Dixieland job. I think the sound works really well, I just prefer to sit with that horn cuz it's a little heavy. For stand up or strolling jobs, I usually grab a sousa. I would admit not the classic sound for a German Band gig, but gets the job done. Actually, I got a lot of complements on it just this last week during Octoberfest jobs. Worked fine for me in a quintet, but I wished for something more nimble and focused, directional. If I did more quintet, I might try other equipment. But with the king's bore, I had no problem playing high notes etc. But not the most open gap range for a BBb. Years ago, as a doubler at that time (primarily trombone), I found the 2341 a very friendly horn to pick up. Always felt at home even if I had not been on the tuba for a while. Now most of my work is tuba bass bass bone. The king does great for me in pit work for shows and whatever commercial gig. Mics well for me but not fun in a small studio, low ceiling.

Not a light horn for its size, and some people are annoyed with the condensation collection tendencies. With affection for the horn, I'm glad to do the "King twist" to empty out the 4th valve circuit. And now, in it's price range, there is stiff competition for half the price.
"Do less, better."
19xx? Blessing Sousaphone BBb
1970s King 3b Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision bass
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

I got one in 2001 to replace my 1241 and have used it on everything. A lot of orchestra jobs, and many were recorded, it is a big clear deep sound. Used it for three years in Soverign Brass, which is the hot quintet down here, and lots of Dixieland and Oktoberfest stuff. I had a little King 3 valve Eb for Damnation of Faust and Midsummer Night's Dream etc. and a big rotary King for stuff like the Candlelight Orchestra at the Rat where there's a huge choir but 90% of the work was on the 2341. And people almost always commented on the sound. I think they're great horns. Ed
The Singing Whale
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Post by Douglas »

A number of my students play on this model tuba. The only thing I dislike about it is the 4th valve wrap. It's entirely too hard to get the water out and it collects way too fast.

DB
Doug Black, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

Douglas wrote:A number of my students play on this model tuba. The only thing I dislike about it is the 4th valve wrap. It's entirely too hard to get the water out and it collects way too fast.

DB
Yeah, you have to spin the crap out of it and the kids usually aren't patient enough or drop it on a trombone while doing so.

I have one of these and a 186 at my school. I like them both a ton. Prefer the King myself, but I'm super biased as I have a 52J.

I don't know why more schools don't have them. Around me I see a ton of 321. I really don't get the appeal. I have a Bb neo myself and I like it. But dang, the kids hate the 321 after they try it. Such bad ergonomics, even on a stand. Ours usually sits collecting dust, or goes home as a practice horn.
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

I had my repair guy install a water key on the first elbow of the 4th valve circuit. That's where the path abruptly turns uphill and where the water likes to collect. No more King-spin needed.
(sorry about the large image size, not sure how to resize it)
ArnoldGottlieb
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ArnoldGottlieb »

I had one on the 2014-16 tour of ‘Annie’ and I loved it. I also played it in the local pops orchestra here and sometimes I wished it was a little bigger. About 15 months ago I got into a car accident and now with a chronically sprained wrist I needed and am still searching for a horn that has a different wrist angle. The only criticism of that horn I really have were that I feel like the valves could have been better. I did play one of the Chinese ones that Matt Walters had at dillons and it had better valves but there was something about the King’s sound that I liked about 3% more than the Chinese one. I sold mine and I’m pretty sure that it’s making money for its new owner in DC. I would own and play one if it wasn’t for this accident, but sometimes we don’t get to choose everything we do.
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

I’ll ask my repair guy next time I stop in.
If I remember correctly, he said it was made by a Spanish jeweler.
I know, weird.
I like it a lot.
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

I've been meaning to do the same thing to mine, but just haven't gotten around to it. I'll have to try Mark's trick next time though...
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
big_blue_tubist
bugler
bugler

Post by big_blue_tubist »

In an effort to switch from C to B flat (and make some money), I have recently sold my Miraphone 1291 and purchased the King. I couldn't have asked for a better result. Even though it's a Bb, I find it more nimble than the Miraphone (and easier to deal with those "band" keys, honestly). Sound is great, and it went over VERY well in my section.
Franken-King 1241
Giddings Taku
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Did all of these glowing testimonials apply equally to the Old Model, and/or 1241? My guess, just on principle, would be that they're physical similar enough that differences are going to be as much due to assembly line accidents - but they will be different to the player because of the old model's tall bell.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

I own a 1241 and a 2341. Got the 1241 in 82' and used it for everything then bought a 2341 in 2001. The 1241 projects more, I'm thinking it's due to the taller bell and there's some first valve slide manipulation(for me). The2341 has a more enveloping sound and I only move the slide for the extreme low range.They evolved into the 1241 for strolling jazz or German music or the rare job where a bell front was called for and the 2341 was for orchestra, the Disney concert band in town square, and quintet jobs. Had they not started with the 2341 I was about to buy a flowered 22 in. upright bell and have it cut to 16 in. as I already had the original 22 in., as well as a 19 in. raincatcher as well as the bell front. I used to torture myself with the dumb question of which one would I grab if there was a fire but thankfully now that I retired, I'd just get out and use the insurance money to buy a boat.Ed
The Singing Whale
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Back in about 2003, when I bought my first tuba (after college = no more school tuba), I considered a 2341.

IIRC, there was a batch at BBC being sold, new, for $3,000 each, with the disclaimer "you will never see these prices again."

Guess that was true! Frankly, I think the low price scared me off a bit, too. Plus, I was already a CC person by that point. :roll:
sloan
On Ice
On Ice

Post by sloan »

At one point, I had 6 tubas. Then I downsized. The one I kept is a 2341 (new model - 2nd iteration).

Those with better ears than mine claim it's "one of the good ones".

Which is a clue - some are very, very good - others are not. Play test before buying.

Otherwise - it was "tuned at the factory" and does effortlessly everything I have ever needed it to do.

What more do you need?
Kenneth Sloan
davidbharris
lurker
lurker

Post by davidbharris »

I was down at Dillons trying about a dozen different BBb(!, gotta love that), including the chinese clone of the King (which really was a decent horn). Then Matt pulled out a new/used 2341 that someone had bought and really never used. What a sweet horn! After a couple of hours of trying horns it was the clear winner and I rode home with it. So happy to have this tuba. I also play a beautiful 1885 Czverny BBb 4 valve helicon, which is awesome for all sorts of second line, balkan, dixieland and groove music. But for sitting in a section, the King 2341 melds so much better. I had spit valves put on all the valve tubes to make emptying just a tip. When I stand, I use the newly improved neotech tuba harness https://www.amazon.com/Neotech-5401172- ... tuba+strap" target="_blank
BTW, I can even use this with my helicon, splitting the load evenly over both shoulders; this was a game-changer for both horns and highly suggest it for all players.
Jerryleejr
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jerryleejr »

Little late to the party but my comeback horn was a new 2341. Then life happened and I sold it. When it was time to buy another horn I had every intention of getting another 2341. However I came across a great deal on a Miraphone 289 and couldn't pass it up. I loved everything about the King I had. Maybe mine was an exception but the fit and finish was perfect. Other than the water collection that is common to these horns I would buy another one in a heart beat. And I still keep my eye out for a well taken care of used one.

JJ
Kanstul 991 Custom
Always room for more....
sloan
On Ice
On Ice

Post by sloan »

A good 2314 is a joy to play - and Matt is the guy to help you find a good one. I’m convinced that they are ALL good, once Matt has prepped them. As for spit valves, I always pull the top slides and pour. It helps to remind me to keep them free sliding (although I never pull a slide while playing - a combination of my tin ear and the fact that they are “tuned at the factory”.

I recently had to downsize. I kept ONE tuba - the 2314. It can do almost anything “adequately” - and I specialize in “adequate”.
Kenneth Sloan