Practice Spaces: Advice and Sharing

The bulk of the musical talk
haybied
lurker
lurker

Practice Spaces: Advice and Sharing

Post by haybied »

Two parts to this post:
1) My fiance and I just moved into an apartment a few months ago and since then I have been searching for places around me to practice where I won't be a bother to neighbors. Luckily we're less than ten minutes away from my parent's house, so currently I just go over there when I practice. What solutions have you found or heard of, to find a place to practice where you won't be a disturbance to others?

2) I'm a bit of a dreamer and like to think about where I'll be in the future, especially pertaining to my future house, career, etc. One of my dreams is to have a large home studio that encompasses a place to clean my tubas, practice either alone or with a chamber group, and storage for music, accessories, etc. Whether this ends up being a room in the house or a shed in the backyard, who knows! What kind of home studio do you have? Is it a room in your house, or a corner in the basement? Or something totally different? Pictures are welcome if you have a really cool space!

Thanks in advance for your advice and sharing your spaces!
Hayden Biedenharn, BME '18
The Ohio State University

Miraphone 1291 CC
Miraphone 1281 F "Petruschka"

Dublin Silver Band
Yamaha YEB-632IIS Neo
Cdub
bugler
bugler

Re: Practice Spaces: Advice and Sharing

Post by Cdub »

I mainly practice in my basement bar next to 6 beer taps and a liquor cabinet.

As to not driving folks batty, I have a practice mute for night. If I ever really need to have a big open space, I just let myself into our church. Amazing what giving a little bit of your talents and time will get you.
Mack 410gb
On Wisconsin
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Learn the local laws, and the terms of your lease. Meet your neighbors and don't be a jerk... but just stay within the legal limit and play at home.

When I lived in NYC, I think the rule was to keep it between 10am and 10pm. I rarely got near either of those, but a professional trombone player a few floors down played all day long many times per week.

Might be surprised what's allowable by law!
Mike C855B
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike C855B »

We (my wife and I) have a standalone building in our small-city downtown area, acquired for cheap in a going-out-of-business sale. We remodeled it into her art studio and my workshop, with a finished 40x44 space with 14-foot ceilings we call "the auditorium" in spite of its current use mostly as construction material storage. I use this for a practice space, and also occasionally host our brass quintet here.

Miraphone 191 4-valve
1925 Conn 28J
Cerveny CEP 531-4M
Fox 880 "Sayen" (oops... that's an oboe) ;)
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

My studio is getting pretty cluttered at this point. It sits over a three-car garage, and nothing can be heard coming out of it (it is relatively soundproof to the other parts of my home, and neighbors are far away).

No matter how large it gets (this one is about 700 square feet), I find some way to fill it up to the point where I can barely get around. I love it. I am very blessed!

Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
hockeyched
bugler
bugler

Post by hockeyched »

I reached out to some local churches and had no problem finding friendly local music directors that were willing to allow me to come play in their church now and then. You could try this route, maybe find a place they will allow you to come in and out. good luck!
-Josh Davis
Ball State University DA in progress.