learning from my betters

The bulk of the musical talk
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Re: learning from my betters

Post by Art Hovey »

And don't forget the sopranos and piccolo players.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Yeah, this is something I have noticed, too. I think it is partly because of the nature of the tuba -- the lower you go, the more "grumbly" the sound gets. And the lower and louder you get, the more "flatulent" the sound gets :? :lol: I think it is something tuba players (even the pros) should keep in mind when playing solos, recitals and demonstrating etudes :idea:
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

Good topic.

One of my close friends is a fine tubist with an extensive teaching career. When he hears one of students play THWHACK!, he says something like this, "I have had a long career, playing almost every conceivable type of music and I have never had a conductor or a fellow musician ask me to make that sound."

It doesn't seem to have much affect. The marching band environment seems to encourage that sound out of tuba players. "Guys" in particular seem to like it and ask tuba players to "do it again." Oh, well.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
bigboymusic
3 valves
3 valves

Post by bigboymusic »

Now, flirting with blasphemy, I will say this. In my younger years, I paid a lot of $$ to take lessons with prominent tubists of the time. Men who spent a lot of time helping me 'visualize' my sound, and refine it. I owe them everything tuba wise... But... I have also heard both of them give master classes with an emphasis on beauty over blasting, and then I get to hear them in the hall with some of the bigger excerpts. And let me tell you.... Some of our heroes can really find their inner sousaphones on given occasions. I personally use it to remind myself that they are humans as well....
Paul Weissenborn
St. Joseph Symphony Orchestra (MO)
Spirit of Independence Band
SJSO Quintet
Alex 163 CC
YEB 321S
williamp
bugler
bugler

Post by williamp »

This is just a personal observation and may or may not add value to this conversation. When I was studying with a highly regarded orchestral player (since deceased), he would advise me to pivot my embouchure when going into the lower register. I found that this often resulted in the lower notes that were out of context with the others being played. A long time ago, Jay Bertolet posted a comment on this board about trying to keep a very consistent embouchure throughout the lower register, and I have also found this to work much better. In my daily practice and performing throughout the lower register, I try to shift as little as needed and I think it helps with consistency of sound. Thanks for the reminder, Bloke.