Metropolitan Opera Broadcasts

The bulk of the musical talk
mbeastep
pro musician
pro musician

Metropolitan Opera Broadcasts

Post by mbeastep »

Today my wife and I attended the movie theater simulcast of the Metropolitan Opera's Samson and Delilah, by Saint-Saens. Like most of these, it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, with a great production, great singers and really good capture of the sound of the orchestra. One only sees the orchestra during the overtures and preludes, but at the beginning of this opera I noticed to my surprise that there were two small tubas (and players) in the pit. One of these could be heard very clearly warming up before the show. It turns out that there is an extended soli for the two players in the first act, presumably originally for ophicleides. Who knew? Except for the Bachannale and the love duet (on Samson's part) this music was new to me. When next the tuba was seen on camera the extra player had disappeared and the small horn had been replaced by a Hirsbrunner.

There are several places in the opera that call for some quite aggressive brass playing, and nothing about this performance disappointed me. The Bachannale in particular allowed the trombones to cut loose in a highly satisfying way.

Unlike some productions, the lead singers were attractive, and the costumes were elaborate and impressive. There is also a lot of good choral work. I can't wait until Walkure, despite the somewhat ridiculous stage machinery the Met has invested in. I recommend seeing these productions, though.

mbeastep
Calgary
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: Metropolitan Opera Broadcasts

Post by iiipopes »

Glad you enjoyed the experience. It reminds me of my grandparents and great-grandparents talking about getting to listen to the Met radio broadcasts in the '40's, sponsored by Texaco. Yes, the Met has always been the leading edge of great opera broadcasts, always using the best technology available. Congrats!
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
mbeastep
pro musician
pro musician

Post by mbeastep »

I forgot to mention for the benefit of anyone who might be intimidated by the foreign languages of most operas that the text is shown in English as things proceed. This makes all the difference in being able to follow the plots. This is now done live in most theaters, too, as far as I know.

mbeastep
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

Good post. I am not familar with the piece, so I downloaded the first act. Noticed that it is scored for 2 ophs. and 1 bass tuba. More after I spend a few minutes with the score.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
MikeS
bugler
bugler

Post by MikeS »

There is some additional information in this thread.

http://www.chisham.com/tips/bbs/jan2003 ... 20522.html" target="_blank" target="_blank

(Note: This thread is old enough that Bloke was still “JoeS”) :D