Practicality of switching to 5V Eb

The bulk of the musical talk
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Practicality of switching to 5V Eb

Post by GC »

For some of us it becomes a matter of mental flexibility. I will fully admit that I still have BBb moments galore when sight-reading even though I moved to Eb exclusively about a decade ago. I play a 4-valve Conn monster, and below low A the 4th valve fingerings have to be shifted a half step down; Ab is 124 through 1234 for low F (very sharp) and there is no E just above the pedal Eb. Ab, G, and Gb are easy to adjust into pitch, but the F is difficult. If the music is moving quickly in that register, the change in fingerings slows me down a lot, and even more in treble clef. My normal solution, false tones, does not work well on this instrument.

In my case switching to a 5-valve horn would only add to the confusion, though it would definitely help intonation issues. Instead, I plan to switch over to a compensating horn soon, even if it has its own set of intonation quirks, just to simplify the fingering issues.
Last edited by GC on Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Post by Steginkt »

If only we could split the difference and have a tuba in D
Yamaha Xeno YSL-8820
Willson 3400 Eb
Lyon and Healy Sousaphone
5/4 Rudolf Meinl CC
Wessex trumpet
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Im trying to split the difference between F and CC, Eb is about as close as I can get. Haha
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Steginkt wrote:If only we could split the difference and have a tuba in D
Didn't Roger Bobo have tubas built in D and G?
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

I ve been playing an Eb for the last 30 years. I did start out on a BBb, but after a 10 year sabbatical, I found an Eb at an auction for a very attractive price and just started playing it. I have had a lot of Eb horns over the years. The one that I prefer to play is a Miraphone EEb 383. It is an older one similar to a Norwegian Star. I also have a Kanstul 66T. I find the Miraphone does everything, but I like the more mellow sound on the Kanstul for band. The Miraphone is great for solo and brass quintet. If I had to downsize to only one horn, it would be the Miraphone.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
greatk82
3 valves
3 valves

Post by greatk82 »

I had no problem supporting a 30 piece community band today on my Eb Frankentuba. The tritone 5th calve seems to help. :shock:
DonShirer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DonShirer »

I had an MW2141 in a community band and traded it for a lighter instrument that was easier to carry. Then the other tuba player quit, and I had to go back to a larger horn to provide more bass support since I was the only remaining tubist. Shoulda kept the 2141 (although my newest 5v has slightly better intonation).
Don Shirer
Westbrook, CT
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

greatk82 wrote:I had no problem supporting a 30 piece community band today on my Eb Frankentuba. The tritone 5th calve seems to help. :shock:
I remember the horn, how's it treating you?
Jay Bertolet
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Jay Bertolet »

I just played a gig last night that had on the program both Berlioz Hungarian March and Bernstein Candide Overture. There was also a few cimbasso pieces so I had to bring that horn. I wasn't bring three horns so I did the Bernstein on the Willson 3400S Eb and brought only the Willson Eb with the cimbasso. Worked like a charm. The Willson 3400S is, in my opinion, maybe the most versatile Eb tuba out there.
My opinion for what it's worth...

Principal Tuba - Miami Symphony, Kravis Pops
Tuba/Euphonium Instructor - Florida International University,
Broward College, Miami Summer Music Festival