Practicality of switching to 5V Eb

The bulk of the musical talk
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Practicality of switching to 5V Eb

Post by DouglasJB »

After switching to one horn I found I miss having a CC, most of the playing I do is in chamber music where having an F tuba works beautifully, but from time to time I would like to be able to play in a community band or community orchestra. For those who have used a 5V Eb tuba such as Willson 3400, PT22, MW2141 or the BMB Eb, do you feel comfortable using the horn as a "do it all" horn? For average groups do you ever find you are lacking on the low end?
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Practicality of switching to 5V Eb

Post by DouglasJB »

That's kinda what I'm thinking, leaning towards a willson
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I find I can do anything on my Norwegian Star. Someone bigger than I am would be able to carry the low part; it is not very stuffy down low and has the advantage that it can play pedal D, and Db a whole lot less stuffy than a CC would. Really with this tuba all you have to do is blow.
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

I agree Mark, the 6/4 Eb Wessex has mentioned would be great, I'm excited.

I find myself playing bass tuba more because it feels more comfortable, the low range us easier to play (pedals) but the lack the weight that a contrabass has
jpwell
bugler
bugler

Post by jpwell »

I play a mw2141. Play it in all settings pretty much works in all settings. Low G under the staff is good, low F way down there is a little bit of a chore. I finger 1345 lots of tube to fill. Pedal notes come out easy. High range easy too. There are days I think of selling my contra. It’s an easy blow too. My 2 cents
Levaix
bugler
bugler

Post by Levaix »

Is there a practical reason you can't pick up a cheaper BBb or CC? When I got my Eb that's the tuba I played in community band, but to be honest the novelty is starting to wear off. A contrabass tuba (IN GENERAL) just feels better in that setting. That being said if I owned a PT-22p I think the novelty may have lasted considerably longer. :P
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

My F tuba strategy is now to use the big mouthpiece on it. I aim to be F only very soon. I won't be as loud as some, but I wasn't on a big horn either.
MORE AIR
Phil Dawson
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Phil Dawson »

I use a Besson 983 4 valve compensating and it will hold its own in almost any setting. I do have a Miraphone 1293 when it doesn't quite get the job done. Phil
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Post by marccromme »

jpwell wrote:I play a mw2141. Play it in all settings pretty much works in all settings. Low G under the staff is good, low F way down there is a little bit of a chore. I finger 1345 lots of tube to fill. Pedal notes come out easy. High range easy too. There are days I think of selling my contra. It’s an easy blow too. My 2 cents
^^^ This!!! My MW2141 works very well in community and brass band. And solo stuff. Just and even intonation in entire range, nice bite and core to the sound. It likes more cup-shaped mouthpieces, I use a DW Ultra 4 and 2 (The 3 number is also OK).

Only disadvantage over a 4+1 compensating horn is the fingering in the low range, which is less intuitive. The big advantage over most 19'' bell Eb 4+1 I have tried is better core and high register, and better intonation.

This horn really sings!
Yamaha YEB-321 Eb 4v TA tuba
Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb 5v FA tuba
Hirsbrunner Bb 3v TA compensated euph
Wessex Dolce Bb 3+1v TA compensated euph
Alto/tenor/bass trombones in various sizes/plugs
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Levaix wrote:Is there a practical reason you can't pick up a cheaper BBb or CC? When I got my Eb that's the tuba I played in community band, but to be honest the novelty is starting to wear off. A contrabass tuba (IN GENERAL) just feels better in that setting. That being said if I owned a PT-22p I think the novelty may have lasted considerably longer. :P
I've used CC, Eb and F, and have always gone to the smaller horn when playing on ensembles, my CC sat for months before I sold it, I just feel more comfortable on Bass tuba. I know it's odd, but for the playing I do (community band, brass ensemble, teaching HS students, both tuba and euph) bass tuba works better. Just trying to find the right horn.
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Post by Patrase »

If you could add a 6th valve to the 5 valve Eb tuba that would help fill in the intonation gaps in the low register. Would be pretty easy to hunt around for a used 2nd valve, in the right bore, off a rotary Bb tuba - then get a tech to plumb that into the 4th valve circuit as a dependent valve. I am very tempted to do that to my 5v Eb. But the cheap side of me says learn Bb fingerings ( I can only read treble clef on the Bb tuba I own).
Miraphone Norwegian Star
Yamaha YBB-632 Bb Neo
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Post by oedipoes »

Norwegian star with big enough mouthpiece should work... (I would use the Tilz WH-B1)
However, I would prefer my besson comp. Eb or better even my Rudi BBb for larger groups...
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Mark Finley wrote:I play a 5v Eb in a community band, but there are 2 or three others with BBb tubas. In that context, it's fine. If I was by myself and all I had was an Eb, I'd want it to be a really big Eb
I have a really big Eb, and while I guarantee it's not the one you'd want, of my two Ebs it would be the one that I'd take if all I could have was an Eb. I've played my little Italian Eb a little during a band practice, and it was kind of buried, while the big one could hold its own. But that doesn't mean I'd be providing the same kind of low end weight that I would with a 4/4 BBb. Better in combination with a BBb.
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

JCRaymo wrote:Life changed and getting married and starting a family I found I needed to downsize and go to one tuba. The Eb made sense to keep because I could use it for more stuff that CC tuba was just too big for some things at least with me trying to play it.

This is the thinking I have on it, as far as using Eb as the only tuba in a concert band, I completely understand it's not ideal, and NORMALLY there is atleast 1 more player. Aside from the Willson 3400 and MW2141 are there any other Eb's (4P 1R) you guys have used successfully as a "do it all" horn?
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

For some of us it becomes a matter of mental flexibility. I will fully admit that I still have BBb moments galore when sight-reading even though I moved to Eb exclusively about a decade ago. I play a 4-valve Conn monster, and below low A the 4th valve fingerings have to be shifted a half step down; Ab is 124 through 1234 for low F (very sharp) and there is no E just above the pedal Eb. Ab, G, and Gb are easy to adjust into pitch, but the F is difficult. If the music is moving quickly in that register, the change in fingerings slows me down a lot, and even more in treble clef. My normal solution, false tones, does not work well on this instrument.

In my case switching to a 5-valve horn would only add to the confusion, though it would definitely help intonation issues. Instead, I plan to switch over to a compensating horn soon, even if it has its own set of intonation quirks, just to simplify the fingering issues.
Last edited by GC on Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Post by Steginkt »

If only we could split the difference and have a tuba in D
Yamaha Xeno YSL-8820
Willson 3400 Eb
Lyon and Healy Sousaphone
5/4 Rudolf Meinl CC
Wessex trumpet
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Im trying to split the difference between F and CC, Eb is about as close as I can get. Haha
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Steginkt wrote:If only we could split the difference and have a tuba in D
Didn't Roger Bobo have tubas built in D and G?
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

I ve been playing an Eb for the last 30 years. I did start out on a BBb, but after a 10 year sabbatical, I found an Eb at an auction for a very attractive price and just started playing it. I have had a lot of Eb horns over the years. The one that I prefer to play is a Miraphone EEb 383. It is an older one similar to a Norwegian Star. I also have a Kanstul 66T. I find the Miraphone does everything, but I like the more mellow sound on the Kanstul for band. The Miraphone is great for solo and brass quintet. If I had to downsize to only one horn, it would be the Miraphone.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
greatk82
3 valves
3 valves

Post by greatk82 »

I had no problem supporting a 30 piece community band today on my Eb Frankentuba. The tritone 5th calve seems to help. :shock: