Strangest gig you’ve done on Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
pecktime
bugler
bugler

Strangest gig you’ve done on Tuba

Post by pecktime »

I’ve just finished a gig with an Australian Balkan-elvis-impersonator. Highlights included ‘Viva Dubrovnik’ and Blue Suede shoes in 7/8.
MW 3450, 2011TA HoJo, Conn 20J
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Re: Strangest gig you’ve done on Tuba

Post by windshieldbug »

pecktime wrote:Blue Suede shoes in 7/8.

Not many people know it was originally written in 7/8. It was later arranged in 4/4 to make it more commercially appealing! :shock: :P
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
michael_glenn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by michael_glenn »

I played at a man’s funeral. Played Come Sweet Death unaccompanied as was requested. The guy had grown up in Ohio, and wanted to be buried in Ohio (no biggie). Virtually everyone there hadn’t seen him in 20-30 years, and none of his family was present because they were all in their home state of Texas where he had lived and built his life for the previous 4-5 decades.
Additionally, the family couldn’t give me actual times for the service for about a week because they didn’t know when the service would take place due to the fact that he was still alive and weren’t sure if he was going to end up passing.
Michael Ebie
PhD Music Theory (in progress) — University of Cincinnati CCM
MM Music Theory — Michigan State University
MM Tuba Performance — Michigan State University
BM Brass Performance — University of Akron
ronr
bugler
bugler

Post by ronr »

New flag pole installed at a strip mall. Brass quintet played patriotic music; mostly Sousa.
Mike C855B
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike C855B »

Two would count as semi-strange, I guess. Both paying, oddly enough. First was a brass quintet accompanying a carillon. The original plan - already done once by another group - was to place the players in the belfry, 120 feet up. A site inspection the day before determined my tuba would not fit through the access hatch, no way, no how. I was also not in the frame of mind to carry the horn without case or other protection, up twelve flights. So we did some hasty acoustic calculations, left us on the ground with our backs against a masonry wall, and had the audience seating equidistant. Coordination with the carilloneur was through a wireless mic. It worked, actually.

Second was with the same carillon, but this time a 1890s reenactment band, some of us had period instruments. That was a little weird. The quintet performance was more satisfying and may be worth repeating.

EDIT: It just dawned on me I had organized a TubaChristmas 12 years ago performing with this same carillon! How soon we forget...

:tuba:
Last edited by Mike C855B on Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miraphone 191 4-valve
1925 Conn 28J
Cerveny CEP 531-4M
Fox 880 "Sayen" (oops... that's an oboe) ;)
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Post by jperry1466 »

Not me, but a friend of mine who used to be active in this group. In our university days (loooong ago), the theater dept. asked the music dept. to provide a tuba player for a play they were doing. He had to be a dancing, tuba-playing pixie in a green pixie suit. There were some, shall we say, "characters" in the drama department. None of us wanted to do it of course, so it fell to one of our freshman tuba majors. He was pretty good natured about it, and later jokingly referred to his "friends in the theatah". Not sure he ever forgave us. :lol:

My own strangest was playing with a small band for an outdoor wedding in the park. The bride wanted the "Marriage of Figaro" on the program. After rehearsing all those Bb scale-type runs on a CC tuba, I borrowed a BBb and saved my fingers. We were all invited to the rehearsal dinner of course, which consisted of hamburgers and hot dogs cooked by the bride's father on the park's public grills.
:shock:
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

Oddly enough I have had one paying tuba gig. A singing telegram for a young man who was turning 30 and thought that his life was over. I went as an undertaker in my tails and top hat. Got him to fill out a form for how he wanted his funeral to go with al kinds of weird and funny questions, and then played taps for him. He and I had a good time which was good because nobody else showed up. I got paid so I must have done just fine.

Charlie C. Chowder
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

1) I play in this German band which (of course) occasionally plays Edelweiss. Only the band leader insists that every time the word "Edelweiss" comes up, that measure is in 5/4. It's actually pretty hip when everyone knows about it!

2) Famous tight-rope walker Philip Petit (walked between the Trade Center towers in 1974) was hired for a church event in Brooklyn. He wanted solo tuba as accompaniment for his 'walk', so I improvised by myself for 50 minutes to his shenanigans. Wasn't as hard as it sounds, but definitely different.

3) Being paid for "screech tuba" probably fits nicely under this rubric. :lol:
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

jperry1466 wrote:My own strangest was playing with a small band for an outdoor wedding in the park. The bride wanted the "Marriage of Figaro" on the program. After rehearsing all those Bb scale-type runs on a CC tuba, I borrowed a BBb and saved my fingers. We were all invited to the rehearsal dinner of course, which consisted of hamburgers and hot dogs cooked by the bride's father on the park's public grills.
Do you know if they are still married? If so, maybe playing "Marriage of Figaro" at outdoor weddings could be your little niche in the world of live music.

Hearing of the expensive tastes and tendencies of some weddings today, having Dad grill up burgers and franks in the park sounds so sensible.
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Those of you who have been playing as long as I have, know that we can write a book on this subject. I think a thread like this popped up a while back and I might have posted a few stories there.
jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jeopardymaster »

Certainly the unluckiest was a Serbian (or Croatian? or Albanian?) traditional wedding parade in downtown Cincinnati. We were to play on a cart, but I didn't find out until the last minute that the arrangement was for it to be horse-drawn. The driver had assured the booker and all who would listen (and me, who heard but did not quite believe after having dealt with a few horses in my lifetime) that the horse would be fine pulling a slavic band while it played slavic music. But within seconds the horse bolted, taking us the wrong way up 4th Street on a busy Saturday afternoon. He was kind of old, so he wasn't able to reach a whole lot of speed, but it took a few minutes to get him back under control. Several near-accidents but no real ones, nobody hurt but all plenty frightened -almost as much as the poor horse. So we ended up "hoofing" the parade route ourselves, close to a mile. I sure wish I had used a sousaphone. I hadn't even brought a strap.
Gnagey CC, VMI Neptune 4098 CC, Mirafone 184-5U CC and 56 Bb, Besson 983 EEb and euphonium, King marching baritone, Alexander 163 BBb, Conn 71H/112H bass trombone, Olds Recording tenor trombone.
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Post by fenne1ca »

I was a regular attendee of a poetry open mic in Olympia, WA while I lived there, and when the sign-up list was devoid of wordsmiths, I would often jump in an improvise a “tone-poem,” usually a minimalistic thought spiral on some short passage of an intriguing rhythm or set of multiphonics. Once they invited me to “DJ” the whole shindig, providing filler between performers by improvising “beatbox”-style. Fun stuff.
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

Does playing with The Scorpions count?
IsaacTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by IsaacTuba »

A heavy synth rock band once had me gig with them and improvise over them. It was an interesting experience nonetheless.
Arizona State University BM 23'
Baylor University MM 25'

Eastman 836GS CC
Miraphone 181 F
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote:I kinda forgot about this one...
The Rivermont Hotel (on the Mississippi River bluff...NOW: condos) was a Holiday Inn-owned hi-rise hotel, and Holiday Inns used to have its international headquarters in Memphis.
In the early 1980's, there was an INTERNATIONAL convention of Holiday Inn hotel managers there (they all brought their chefs with them, btw...AMAZING 6-continents buffets :shock: ) and a local guy booked only five of us to play ALL SORTS of international music. They had constructed this gigantic globe in the middle of the ball room with a Saturn-like disc around it (which rotated), we would stand on that disc (side-by-side) and play all sorts of international/ethnic music as we went around the globe.
Here's the rub: The people who hired us DID NOT KNOW that we were the same people over-and-over, and we were doing frantic costume/instrument changes back in a room, and coming back out as "another band from another country" over-and-over. :P :lol:
We knew how to party in the 80s!! :tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

fenne1ca wrote:I was a regular attendee of a poetry open mic in Olympia, WA while I lived there, and when the sign-up list was devoid of wordsmiths, I would often jump in an improvise a “tone-poem,” usually a minimalistic thought spiral on some short passage of an intriguing rhythm or set of multiphonics. Once they invited me to “DJ” the whole shindig, providing filler between performers by improvising “beatbox”-style. Fun stuff.
All I can say is, “We knew how to party in the 80s!!” :tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

Performing original Buffy-the-Vampire-Slayer-themed songs, with a Buffy-the-Vampire-Slayer-themed band, to a packed 700-seat auditorium. I hadn't (and still haven't) seen an episode of the show, but those folks definitely had.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

I've done multiple weird gigs over the years.....

One of them was at a fish house (small seafood restaurant) out in the country with a pond in front. Our quintet played there several times before it went out of business. Honestly, the last time we played there the quintet did a crap job and the small audience wasn't particularly enthusiastic. It was like that most times. It was a crap gig with crap pay; it was literally a "gas money" type gig where noones heart was into it. And it felt weird playing in such a secluded spot at night. Even though the ppl working there were nice enough, the whole place amost had a "Deliverance" feel to it :shock: :lol:
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Post by jperry1466 »

The Big Ben wrote:
jperry1466 wrote:My own strangest was playing with a small band for an outdoor wedding in the park. The bride wanted the "Marriage of Figaro" on the program. After rehearsing all those Bb scale-type runs on a CC tuba, I borrowed a BBb and saved my fingers. We were all invited to the rehearsal dinner of course, which consisted of hamburgers and hot dogs cooked by the bride's father on the park's public grills.
Do you know if they are still married? If so, maybe playing "Marriage of Figaro" at outdoor weddings could be your little niche in the world of live music.
Hearing of the expensive tastes and tendencies of some weddings today, having Dad grill up burgers and franks in the park sounds so sensible.
Yes, almost 20 years later, they are still married and have careers that allow them to travel internationally. The bride was one of our students back in the day. She was a college music major at the time of the wedding but thought better of it later, which was fortunate for both her and music. Haven't had such a request since, although I've played string bass in combos for several other weddings. Playing "Figaro" on BBb tuba is a breeze; playing it on a CC requires what an old friend used to call "polio fingerings". The burger/hot dog idea was great and fit their budget. Just wish he had brought his own grill, but we survived it.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.