Military Bands: Instruments

The bulk of the musical talk
cherrm1
bugler
bugler

Military Bands: Instruments

Post by cherrm1 »

I attended the President's Own concert here in Columbus, OH last night - exceptional as expected. I didn't have the opportunity to speak to John Cradler or the other members following the concert. The experience peaked my curiosity regarding their instrument(s) of choice. Is there another thread or other that documents what equipment they utilize most?

Perhaps John or other members of our finest ensembles can provide some feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
---
York/King Custom BBb (Tabor-built)
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Military Bands: Instruments

Post by Sousaswag »

I am fairly certain John used a Miraphone Bruckner. Of the other two, there may have been a Meinl Weston 6450? The only reason I know it was a Bruckner is because somebody spoke to him after the concert in Normal.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
GSCtuba1046
bugler
bugler

Post by GSCtuba1046 »

Miraphone -291
Meinl Weston - 6450
Nirschl 4/4
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

You should always go back stage and ask to talk to the musicians. Please do so! We don't mind (navy, here). Our tuba players do research, then request the band to buy them what instrument they want. If you search for their pictures on the MB website, the performers normally pose with their instrument of choice.

As for sousaphone, it is either plastic or a really pretty one (for those high profile ceremonies). They are usually purchased all at the same time so the instruments look uniform. Our guys have gold Conn sousaphones and they are super heavy. I'm a horn player so I can't speak for the tuba section, but we all play different instruments. The most important part is to blend; not the brand.
--farah chisham
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

FarahShazam wrote:I'm a horn player so I can't speak for the tuba section, but we all play different instruments.

Farah, what do you and your section play for standing/marching gigs?
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

Single Bb Hoyer.
--farah chisham
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

USMC Drum & Bugle Corps has been playing on custom Kanstul G contrabasses since, I think, 1998-ish, and are on their third batch at the moment.

Just an FYI. ;)

In the other, more conventional bands, the members can make requests, but the purchase sometimes (often?) is made as if the band was buying anything else -- find it in the catalog and just buy it. Many players use their own instruments that they hand-picked instead.
proam
bugler
bugler

Post by proam »

Old thread but hopefully not too old.

I saw the Navy band Monday night and what a beautiful sound from the two tubas. I was curious what they were playing and my guess would be the MW 6450 mentioned above. Perfect sound for the group and perfect playing.

I wish that I could have gone backstage but I was with my son, his wife, and a 2-year old granddaughter and it was already past her bedtime. She enjoyed the rousing pieces, especially the marches, quite a bit. She bounced up and down and waved her hands to conduct.

I can only dream of getting a sound like that. As the only tubist in a small community band (30 players?), I can’t quite seem to get enough sound out of my 5J to bring out the bass part as much as it needs. Mostly my fault, I know.