Nonstandard solos for auditions

The bulk of the musical talk
Dan Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Nonstandard solos for auditions

Post by Dan Tuba »

I really enjoy working on the old "Cornet" solos. For Wind band/Symphonic Band/Brass band players, these solos really offer an enjoyable opportunity to employ some of the technical/musical skills that we work on in the Arban's and Clarke studies. Some of the required technical skills that these solos demand are very beneficial to a tuba player who performs regularly with the ensembles mentioned above, especially brass band. Would I play these solos for an orchestral audition? I don't know, I haven't auditioned for an orchestra.
Conn 25J
Holton 3+1 "Monster" EEb
Wessex XL
Giddings and Kelly Mouthpieces
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Post by k001k47 »

I'd agree with the notion that the euph hasn't gotten enough attention from composers. It's a pleasant instrument to listen to IMO
jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jeopardymaster »

I did the Rachmaninoff Vocalise and Handel g Minor Oboe Concerto on my senior recital eons ago, both on CC, as well as some stuff originally for tuba. I wanted to program the Strauss Horn Concerto #1 as well but Sam thought that was too many transcriptions. I'd like to get the Handel back under my fingers on Eb if I can work out the transposition.
Gnagey CC, VMI Neptune 4098 CC, Mirafone 184-5U CC and 56 Bb, Besson 983 EEb and euphonium, King marching baritone, Alexander 163 BBb, Conn 71H/112H bass trombone, Olds Recording tenor trombone.
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Post by BopEuph »

k001k47 wrote:I'd agree with the notion that the euph hasn't gotten enough attention from composers. It's a pleasant instrument to listen to IMO
Agreed. The two pieces I mentioned really do show how the lyrical qualities of the euph shine, but I felt like most solos were just fast and high. A french horn player told me a joke among horn players: How do you get your horn to sound like a euphonium? Just blow air through it and move your valves as fast as possible.

I feel like one or two pieces from euph might transfer well to tuba, but the non-euphonium audience doesn't care about most of our literature, anyway. I'm not going to name a bunch of it so as to not offend the composers.
Nick
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Post by BopEuph »

It's been suggested that if I choose a nonstandard solo for a "choose your solo" orchestral audition, to have something like the Vaughan Williams in my back pocket.

Looking through it, and as much as I'm going to work on this solo, I can't imagine it will sound too great on a BBb (the only horn I own right now).
Nick