Feedback on Packer 179B

The bulk of the musical talk
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Feedback on Packer 179B

Post by Davidus1 »

Hi,

In the market for a small BBb tuba. Interested in opinions on the Packer 179B. I saw a few comments in the Sponsor's forum but hoping some of you have tried that horn and can share. I have a big horn but would like a smaller horn for solo and small group playing. Was able recently to play on an Olds 99 which was a surprise. Big sound and plenty of volume. This was a 3 valve horn and I am looking for a 4 valve horn. Just curious about the Packer compared to a Olds 99, Conn 4J, Conn 5J. Is the sound on the Packer too small and blatty? Any feedback appreciated.
John 3:16

Mack Brass 200S BBb
Yamaha YSL-630 .525 Trombone
Conn 15I Euphonium
Mack Brass Euphonium
ronr
bugler
bugler

Re: Feedback on Packer 179B

Post by ronr »

I’m not aware of a 179B. There’s a 178B and a 379B, which I purchased in June to downsize from my 186. In short I love the horn. Here’s what Mark Finley had to say about it; I can’t say it any better.

I love that horn. It plays just like the old miraphone 186 with a 16" bell (before they super-sized the bell). Many people are still nostalgic for that version of the 186 and wish they would bring it back, but this horn is the closest thing there is to it.

Now.. It's short and easy to manage physically, but it's still a. 789 rotory horn. If you are fine with a 186 you'll love this, but if you need something with a smaller bore and more resistance, maybe a smaller tuba would be better. Both packer and Eastman have good ones

Me again. If there really is a 179b and I’ve wasted your time here I apologize.
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Post by Davidus1 »

Mark Finley wrote:viewtopic.php?f=9&t=85635" target="_blank
Yes, I've read this as I mentioned in the initial post but was hoping for more info. Would like to know how the sound compares to the horns listed. Any others who have purchased and their thoughts......

Mack Brass 200S BBb
Conn 15I Euphonium
Mack Brass Euphonium
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Post by Davidus1 »

ronr wrote:I’m not aware of a 179B. There’s a 178B and a 379B, which I purchased in June to downsize from my 186. In short I love the horn. Here’s what Mark Finley had to say about it; I can’t say it any better.

I love that horn. It plays just like the old miraphone 186 with a 16" bell (before they super-sized the bell). Many people are still nostalgic for that version of the 186 and wish they would bring it back, but this horn is the closest thing there is to it.

Now.. It's short and easy to manage physically, but it's still a. 789 rotory horn. If you are fine with a 186 you'll love this, but if you need something with a smaller bore and more resistance, maybe a smaller tuba would be better. Both packer and Eastman have good ones

Me again. If there really is a 179b and I’ve wasted your time here I apologize.
There is a 179B. Its the small front action piston horn that Mark referenced with the link to the sponsor's section. Thanks.

Mack Brass 200S BBb
Conn 15I Euphonium
Mack Brass Euphonium
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Post by Davidus1 »

bloke wrote:The JP179 tubas sound/play very much like Yamaha YBB-621 tubas, as their bugle design and bore sizes are the same as a Yamaha YBB-621.

Do you have any friends/colleagues nearby who own YBB-621 tubas?
Playing one of those would give you a very strong hint towards the playing characteristics of a JP179.

No...(as can be seen when looking at a picture of a JP179 vs. a picture of a YBB-621) the JP179 is not a "copy", but is close enough to a YBB-621 to be an excellent reference point.

If you manage to play a YBB-621 (or an actual JP179) and personally decide that the sound is smaller than you might like, consider the JP379B, which is an (in my view) better-built-than-Czech reference of the Cerveny "Arion" BBb.

Otherwise (in the compact tuba market) if you decide that you are happy with the YBB-621 / JP179 resonance qualities, the JP179 is less costly than a JP379B (as a JP379B is shown below). "Me playing something and judging for myself" is 1000:1 desirable over "TubeNet words". I would encourage you to find (if not a JP179) a YBB-621 to test before calling (me, please :oops: ) to purchase a JP179.

Thanks for the response! I don't know of anyone with the Yamaha but I can look. That's a good idea. I did play an Olds 99 (3 valve) and was surprised by the size of the sound that I was able to produce. Hoping for the same thing with this horn I guess. I appreciate the response and you will be the one getting the call if I order! Much appreciated.

Mack Brass 200S BBb
Conn 15I Euphonium
Mack Brass Euphonium
tizzdizz
lurker
lurker

Post by tizzdizz »

Good question! I recently tried one out at my local shop and was really impressed for the price and size. It is small, and has a small bore, but with a good mouthpiece I was able to make it sing pretty well. I ended up passing on it, because I didn't know that it could back the 60+ member community band that I'm in. But for what you're describing I think it would be a great option. Valves are fast, smooth and pretty quiet. It didn't feel cheap. I think I have a so-so quality recording of it that I did on my phone while I was testing it out. If you shoot me a message I can email it to you.
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Post by Davidus1 »

tizzdizz wrote:Good question! I recently tried one out at my local shop and was really impressed for the price and size. It is small, and has a small bore, but with a good mouthpiece I was able to make it sing pretty well. I ended up passing on it, because I didn't know that it could back the 60+ member community band that I'm in. But for what you're describing I think it would be a great option. Valves are fast, smooth and pretty quiet. It didn't feel cheap. I think I have a so-so quality recording of it that I did on my phone while I was testing it out. If you shoot me a message I can email it to you.
Thanks man! Appreciate the info. PM sent!

Mack Brass 200S BBb
Conn 15I Euphonium
Mack Brass Euphonium
tizzdizz
lurker
lurker

Post by tizzdizz »

David - no problem. But FYI I never saw a PM :)
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Post by Davidus1 »

tizzdizz wrote:David - no problem. But FYI I never saw a PM :)
My bad....thought I'd sent one. Just did! :)

Mack Brass 200S BBb
Conn 15I Euphonium
Mack Brass Euphonium