Etudes for college auditions

The bulk of the musical talk
Kpen
bugler
bugler

Etudes for college auditions

Post by Kpen »

Hi my name is Kyle. I'm a senior in high school and auditioning for a few different music schools. None of the schools I am auditioning for have specific suggested etudes for their auditions so I am looking for suggestions. I'm currently using a BB flat Tuba and I am not sure whitch etudes would work well for it.

Thank you for the suggestions.
B&S PT-6P (3198)
Eastman EBF 864
Eastman EBB 431
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Etudes for college auditions

Post by toobagrowl »

pauvog1 wrote:
Generally folks ask for something lyrical and something technical. Bordogni would work well for lyrical and something like Tyrell could work for technical
I second this. Look for the "40 Advanced Studies for Bb Bass" by H.W. Tyrell; and "Melodious Etudes for Trombone", transcribed & arranged by Rochut. Practice thru a few in each and pick the ones you like and sound best on :idea: Play the Rochut down an octave from written.
There are other method/etude books out there, but Tyrell, Rochut and Blazevich are the most common/standard tuba etude books.
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Sam Gnagey »

Vasiliev and Blazhevich. Musical and a real challenge which will show your real capabilities.
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

Whatever you play, have it down cold, even to the point of having it memorized. You will also be better served to play something less difficult and play it very well than to play something that is obviously too challenging and end up making a lot of mistakes.

Toby Oft, principle trombone in Boston recommends the Three-T approach to auditions (at least in the preliminaries). They are Tone, Time, and Tune. Play with your best sound, play in rhythm, and play in tune. But above all, make music with whatever you play.
Andy
ZIMETMUS
lurker
lurker

Post by ZIMETMUS »

Take a look at this page and look at some of the lists of some of the professors there. https://www.hickeys.com/music/studio/index.php"