Please be safe ! Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Please be safe !

Postby bloke » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:32 am

Its the time of year that many of us are running around from venue-to-venue and playing at all sorts of places.
None of us of the TNFJ would wish to hear about stolen tubas, assaults, robberies, etc.
Please park as close to your venues as possible.
Arrive with the crowd (if possible) and leave with crowd. Avoid the temptation to stay until the last few people remain at the venue and to extensively chat with other musicians that, perhaps, you haven't seen all year.
Please don't leave your instrument showing in your vehicle, and "a blanket" doesn't cut it.
Please drive straight to your gigs and straight home.
As it's now winter - and we arrive home from most gigs after dark - please really have a good look around your own home prior to parking at home, and prior to walking back into your own house/apartment building.
When you step into stores (and this certainly includes gas stations) wearing "gig clothes", that tips off others that you probably have some sort of valuable musical instrument in your vehicle...so please drive into densely populated areas (where crime rates are going to be higher) with full tanks of fuel.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: Please be safe !

Postby ppalan » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:58 am

Wise advice for all. Thanks Bloke and you be safe as well.
Pete
ppalan
Mirafone186 CC 4v
Yamaha Eb 321
Wessex "Berg" F
ppalan
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Mike C855B » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:59 pm

Personal and property security is one of the reasons I don't participate in the local-ish TubaChristmas at a popular uptown mall. Nothing has happened to participants that I know of, but, sadly, the recent big improvements in roads and public transport to ease the access for shoppers have also become fast getaway routes. Carjackings in the area have become much worse - up 40% over last year by some accounts, and that was before the holiday rush.

Haven't yet decided to go to the TubaChristmas at the college an hour south of here next weekend, a much less big-city kind of place, etc., etc. They haven't had one there in a number of years and I should support the renewed efforts if I can.

You do have me thinking, however, about my preferred oboe/EH transport container to defend against the cold - a picnic cooler. If I leave that unattended for a moment somebody may think it's party time and walk off with it. I get enough comments at rehearsals about disappointment there's no beer it it. :roll:
Miraphone 191 4-valve
1925 Conn 28J
Cerveny CEP 531-4M
Fox 880 "Sayen" (oops... that's an oboe) ;)
Mike C855B
bugler
bugler

Postby bort » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:22 pm

Frankly, if someone wanted to rob me of my tuba, they might be doing me a favor...? :|
B&S 4198 (PT-7P)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:49 pm

Mike C855B wrote:stuff about a protecting an oboe

Are you using a Yeti?

Assuming a car with no trunk (as are a large percentage today), will your Yeti (or whatever make) fit under that drape in the rear storage area of your vehicle?

I don't like hiding my tuba back there, but - if no bulge - might make that compromise, for a few minutes, in a low-crime area.
bloke

Postby Mike C855B » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:44 pm

Nah, not a Yeti, just a cheap Coleman. It rarely spends more than 30-45 minutes not in room temp conditions, the main objective defending against sudden temp changes outside between the studio and car, and car and venue. We rarely - if ever - leave it in the car unattended, 'cept maybe a dash into the grocery store en route to pick-up staples.

Even if I had one of those covers for the Element, the tuba case would not fit under it. But you know that. I don't worry a lot about it in our immediate area as break-ins of are unheard of [knock on wood], aside from somebody jiggling handles for potential unlocked cars and then rifling for loose change. Besides, I can't imagine any perp breaking-in and "running" down the street with 60# of tuba+case, much less knowing what to do with it. We're so rural we can't even keep pawn shops in business.

Trips into St. Louis? Another matter altogether.
Miraphone 191 4-valve
1925 Conn 28J
Cerveny CEP 531-4M
Fox 880 "Sayen" (oops... that's an oboe) ;)
Mike C855B
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:44 am

Mike C855B wrote:Nah, not a Yeti, just a cheap Coleman. It rarely spends more than 30-45 minutes not in room temp conditions, the main objective defending against sudden temp changes outside between the studio and car, and car and venue. We rarely - if ever - leave it in the car unattended, 'cept maybe a dash into the grocery store en route to pick-up staples.

Even if I had one of those covers for the Element, the tuba case would not fit under it. But you know that. I don't worry a lot about it in our immediate area as break-ins of are unheard of [knock on wood], aside from somebody jiggling handles for potential unlocked cars and then rifling for loose change. Besides, I can't imagine any perp breaking-in and "running" down the street with 60# of tuba+case, much less knowing what to do with it. We're so rural we can't even keep pawn shops in business.

Trips into St. Louis? Another matter altogether.

I (as of two months ago) own an Element...Those two places (left/right) in the extreme rear where junk can be stashed...
I'm wondering about a plain-black vinyl-covered insulator (similar construction to a pizza pouch) which would fit into one of those.
The rear windows are quite dark...
bloke

Postby iiipopes » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:53 pm

All the above. Indeed. And since you will be around persons who may have not taken all of their preventive health measures, be sure you have and keep good crowd personal hygiene habits. No one wants to come down with the flu the day before a gig!
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Postby MN_TimTuba » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:35 pm

bort wrote:Frankly, if someone wanted to rob me of my tuba, they might be doing me a favor...? :|

Bort,
Not to hijack the thread, but are you now displeased with the new big horn??
Tim
MN_Tim

Holton BBb 345
72 Sno Jet 440SST
MN_TimTuba
bugler
bugler

Postby bort » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:37 pm

Hey Tim! I'll send you a PM and we can catch up. :tuba:
B&S 4198 (PT-7P)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby MN_TimTuba » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:01 pm

bort wrote:Hey Tim! I'll send you a PM and we can catch up. :tuba:

Terrific!
And now...back to your original programming, already in progress.
MN_Tim

Holton BBb 345
72 Sno Jet 440SST
MN_TimTuba
bugler
bugler

Postby tubeast » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:09 am

One more consideration:
I guess quite a few of You people will own several rides.
Maybe it´s a good plan to own ONE car of worn-down, sort-of cheap and unattractive appearance.
You might even "adorn" it with some half-torn (!) bumper stickers to give it a less-classy look.

You might as well choose ALMOST the correct tone of color to cover up parking bruises or rust spots.
And use a brush rather than spray-on paint, too.

Save the Bugatti for other occasions ;-)
Hans
F: Melton 46 S "Klemens Pröpper"
BBb:
1903 or earlier GLIER Helicon, customized Heinrich Hermuth MP
2009 WILLSON 6400 RZ5, PT50+, customized GEWA 52
MW HoJo 2011 FA, Tilz Spezial / PT50+
tubeast
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Lee Stofer » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:11 am

This is one of the reasons I live in fly-over country now. My precautions for this weekend's traveling to play includes
-bring a snow shovel, ice scraper, and take the vehicle with the best snow tires
-don't leave the keys in the vehicle
-look out for deer crossing the road
-look out for black ice
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
Lee Stofer
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby bloke » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:45 am

Two nights ago...There were *multiple car burglaries in the neighborhood (formerly "quite desirable") immediately to the south of where my ("nice") freestanding brick-and-mortar store (which I sold c. 13 years ago at the peak of the "bubble", thankfully) was located in Memphis, and last night, someone - in the gas station immediately adjacent to the east of my former brick-and-mortar location - was murdered in their pick-up truck.
I base my warnings on my own experiences, and on the large urban area closest to me...
- Drive into large urban areas with full tanks of gas and (if for several hours) stuff to eat/drink later.
- Patronize no businesses heading when in/out of a large urban area. Head directly to the job, head directly home, and do not chat with colleagues in parking areas after a gig, and to not be one of the last to leave. If you find an unlocked exterior entry door - after everyone has arrived for a rehearsal, lock it - if you possibly can.
(If you deem the large urban area near you to be "a whole lot safer than bloke's", I would encourage you to rethink.)

*On this city's facebook page, the city is blaming homeowners for "how they parked their cars". The city has about 1000 fewer cops hired that it needs (no one wants to be a cop there...cops would rather make $5000 less in safer small towns, or $10,000 more in Texas cities), so it cannot really do any patrolling of neighborhoods.
bloke

Postby MartyNeilan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:22 pm

I will be sure to wear my helmet at all times. Including when not on the motorcycle.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Location: Selling Wessex EEb solo tuba http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=90523

Postby swillafew » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:48 am

vehicle= crime magnet.

Christmas time multiplies the break in likelihood.

When I was a lad in Minneapolis, a string bass player had their bow stolen while they loaded the bass into a van. I learned then, you can't so much as turn your back on anything valuable. On the brighter side, at the same location somebody found my wallet and looked around until they found me to hand it back.
MORE AIR
swillafew
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Three Valves » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:59 pm

So far so good!!
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
FaxxHB
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby vespa50sp » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:16 am

After being in criminal justice for 32 years, my general thoughts on being safe are making your stuff less attractive and harder to steal. Criminals are basically lazy, they'll move on to the easy pickings.

And I liked Lee's response. I have snow tires and a shovel also.
vespa50sp
bugler
bugler

Return to TubeNet