G Partial on Eastman 632 CC

The bulk of the musical talk
IsaacTuba
bugler
bugler

G Partial on Eastman 632 CC

Post by IsaacTuba »

I don’t know if this is a common thing with CC tubas or if this only applies to this horn, but both G’s in the staff are horribly flat. Is there any way I can fix this? I can lip it up but I end up cracking the partial when I do it.

And yes I am aware of the high E above the staff, at least there’s an alternate fingering for it.
Arizona State University BM 23'
Baylor University MM 25'

Eastman 836GS CC
Miraphone 181 F
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Re: G Partial on Eastman 632 CC

Post by Matt Walters »

The open C's and G's should all be within plus or minus 10 cents. Maybe there is something wrong with that particular horn, like 5th rotor out of alignment, water key leak, valve alignment, etc. Or... it is your playing style. i.e. If you got used to an older B&S with the typical 20 cents sharp bottom line G, any naturally in-tune tuba will play that note flat for you. I've seen it in the store all the time. If you push your air too fast like you have to show that horn who is the boss, it will let you play just as out of tune as you wish. There will always be that 2% that can't play a particular tuba in-tune while everyone else can. They will insist it must be a bad tuba because they played their Blatt 2000 in-tune before they got this tuba.

If nothing is mechanically wrong with the tuba, it wasn't the right horn for you, or you need to learn to play it in-tune. If you want to swing by Woodbridge, NJ, I would be glad to look over the tuba to see if there is a mechanical issue.
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.
Alex Borst
lurker
lurker

Post by Alex Borst »

When I first got my Eastman I had a lot of intonation relearning to do. Depending on the tendencies of your last tuba you may find things difficult. I had the same problem as you have but after some work with the tuner I was fine. I also played a PT-4 with a really sharp G though like Matt suggested. You could also try 1 and 3 with the first slide in. Not ideal I know.Good luck, I hope you get it figured out.
IsaacTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by IsaacTuba »

Perhaps I need to fix my playing then, before I bought my Eastman I was playing on some old beat-up BBb. It’s only been 2 months since I’ve gotten the horn and I’m still having to play BBb for marching band so maybe I just need more time with it.
Arizona State University BM 23'
Baylor University MM 25'

Eastman 836GS CC
Miraphone 181 F