Accord vs Johnson Cases? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Accord vs Johnson Cases?

Postby MikeMilnarik » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:32 pm

Pros / Cons of each. For those of you that have experience with them, what do you prefer?

Thanks!

Mike Milnarik
www.milnarik.com

MILNARIK BRASS
INNOVATA
COSMOPOLITAN TUBA QUARTET

Tufts University & Brandeis University
MikeMilnarik
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Accord vs Johnson Cases?

Postby bloke » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:21 pm

Accord - currently made, lightweight, can be broken more easily than some claim :o
Johnson - no longer made, heavy, more difficult to damage, but - well - some people can f-up a ball bearing, can't they? :roll:

I view the Accord as a "hard-shell gig bag" - to stay WITH the person.
I view the Johnson as an actual "flight case".

Either will depend on proper interior padding strategies for any hope of protection of what is inside them:
- under a bus for a "run-out" orchestra concert? meh.
- under a plane? Plan on the case being thrown (hard) against a concrete wall, and (later) falling 6 to 12 feet to the tarmac.

"Carbon fiber" (being newer) has a "high-tech" connotation, (yes, it IS different from fiberglass...I've worked with it just a little bit...) but isn't necessarily always the best choice.

the worldwide dubya-dubya-dubya interwebs wrote:Carbon fiber and fiberglass are both very strong, but Carbon fiber is more rigid. Carbon fiber is about 3 times stiffer than steel and aluminum for a given weight. ... Fiberglass is better suited to extreme flex patterns, while carbon fiber has a relatively small flex window.

I've OCCASIONALLY seen WARPED Johnson cases, and I've OCCASIONALLY seen BUSTED Accord cases.

Johnson cases were developed before insanely-low airline ticket prices combined with insanely-high excess baggage charges. Further, Walt Johnson (most people know, yes?) was Elvis' lead trumpet player. Possibly (probably?), he did have to ride on commercial airliners when touring with Elvis. His business started when he became exasperated with his trumpets being smashed (over-and-over) and him being determined to put a stop to that $h!t. Others saw his case, and asked him if he would make one for them...and if was then off to the races.

fwiw...
I formerly (back when I - BAD IDEA ! - flew with tubas) owned an EXTRA-BIG Johnson case and a REGULAR-SIZE Johnson case, both of which I bought new (for, probably, the highest prices ever, as I bought them not too long before he shuttered his business). Later, I sold both of them (for not too much less than I paid for them)...but - over time - found exact replacements for both of them for "good-condition used wood case" :shock: prices. I rarely need them, but I paid too little for each of them to be motivated to offer them for sale.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby MikeMilnarik » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:17 am

Thanks, Joe!

Mike Milnarik
www.milnarik.com

MILNARIK BRASS
INNOVATA
COSMOPOLITAN TUBA QUARTET

Tufts University & Brandeis University
MikeMilnarik
3 valves
3 valves

Postby BrassedOn » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:42 pm

A tuba case is a different animal because of the size. My bass bone Johnson case is 25 years old and still going. Great solid strong hardware. Shell is thick and only scratched and scuffed after many overseas and bus tours. 23 states! Banding still original shape Only now, I’m having to reglue blocks and straps. Mine was custom built to the horn, down to where I set my tuning slides, so if buying second hand, recommend find one for same models or close to it.
"Do less, better."
2001 King 2341UB BBb
1977 Fender P Bass
1970s King 3b Silver Sonic
1987 Bach 42BO
1990 Getzen 1062 Bass Trombone (Stacked, Dependent)
19xx? Blessing Sousaphone BBb
BrassedOn
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:56 pm

BrassedOn wrote:A tuba case is a different animal because of the size. My bass bone Johnson case is 25 years old and still going. Great solid strong hardware. Shell is thick and only scratched and scuffed after many overseas and bus tours. 23 states! Banding still original shape Only now, I’m having to reglue blocks and straps. Mine was custom built to the horn, down to where I set my tuning slides, so if buying second hand, recommend find one for same models or close to it.

re: my remarks...
The smaller the fiberglass shell, the less noticeable will be the fiberglass vs. carbon fiber...
"flexibile vs. brittle" and "heavier vs. lighter" issues.
Any trombone case and trombone is going to be below any airline's weight limit, as an example.
bloke

Return to TubeNet