Is a mute required for the tuba? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Is a mute required for the tuba?

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:04 pm

Combining trombone 3 and tuba parts is just a cheap way to save printing a page of music. I don't like it and it can cause confusion.

At rehearsal letter B, is the tuba muted?

Mute.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark Wiseman
Mark
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Is a mute required for the tuba?

Postby the elephant » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:18 pm

Looking at how the two parts work together I would say yes. The notation for the bone is because it is requesting something other than simply "sordino" (cup) whereas we really only use one type of mute. It is a very poorly marked part.

I would have put either "Tbn. III: cup mute/Tuba: open" (with no "sordino" indication) or "con sordino a2 (Tbn. III: cup)" as these both are more specific and not much longer than what was used.

Either way, I would bring the mute but ASK what the conductor wants. However, if you did not ask I am betting that no one will notice whether you use a mute or not, except for the bass boner.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:22 pm

the elephant wrote:Looking at how the two parts work together I would say yes.

I think I agree. This will be the only piece of music for the entire Christmas Pops concert series that requires mute. Arghh!

the elephant wrote:It is a very poorly marked part.

Yes, and had they not been so lazy and printed separate parts, this question would not have arisen.
Mark Wiseman
Mark
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:09 pm

Take this advice, Mark:

The song (in the cartoon) is sung in an icy/whispery voice. I'd probably advise using a mute. If you need to borrow my Stonelined Recording Bass Mute, lemme know. :|

bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Return to TubeNet