Gronitz F/Bb Double Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
Eastman
lurker
lurker

Gronitz F/Bb Double Tuba

Post by Eastman »

Just to share my newest acquisition with you ...

Have just bought a used Gronitz F/Bb double tuba. It's in good condition and all the valves and slides are working fine. It seems to be made of gold brass, has only a few little dents and lacquer is ok.

It has 4 “normal” step valves, one “long” halftone after the 4th valve to reach the B, operated on the back, and then two valves operated together with the left hand do go down a quint to the low Bb.

Seems to be a fine horn but I have no experience in playing F tubas. Will either learn it or sell the horn later on?

Here a few pics:

Gronitz_Double_Tuba_full.jpg
Gronitz_Double_Tuba_full_back.jpg
Gronitz_Double_Tuba_detail_valves.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark

Re: Gronitz F/Bb Double Tuba

Post by Mark »

How do you get the tuba stand to stick to the wall?
Eastman
lurker
lurker

Post by Eastman »

TubeNet gravity, what else :D
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

I actually tried out a tuba like that at a little brass shop in Hamburg back in 1963. The Bb valve routed the air through the F tubing and then through additional loops to provide the extra length needed for Bb valve tubing. (It was more like a compensating valve system, rather than a true double horn.) The resulting Bb tuba was so stuffy that it was almost unplayable. I don't know if this one is the same design.