even better than new socks and underwear... Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

even better than new socks and underwear...

Postby bloke » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:41 am

unexpected Christmas present #1
In the early 1990's, Gene Pokorny shared a recital with Gail Williams which occurred on the mezzanine of Symphony Center. At the time, I was studying with Gene when I could, and he allowed me to coordinate one of my lessons with the weekend of that recital. I know Gene reads many of the TubeNet posts, that he seldom posts or comments, and I also know that his feelings will not be hurt when I admit that at least half of the attraction (for timing my lesson so as to be able to attend that recital) was Ms. Williams' participation. Both of them played superbly as would be expected. Never before had I heard live flawless/other-worldly horn playing (and - by that time - I had heard Barry Tuckwell perform live at least twice). Harvey Phillips was in attendance, and the recital was dedicated to him.

I didn't speak to Ms. Williams afterward, because I just didn't feel as though anything I could say to her would mean anything to her - i.e. I viewed myself as "no one", and any possible expression of admiration as meaningless. Further, I was in such awe that I feared that anything I might have said would probably have involved some stammering.

This weekend, unexpectedly, I was privileged to do something that I never expected to be able to do: share an orchestral stage with Gail Williams :shock: , as she was hired as this subscription concert's principal horn with the IRIS Orchestra. The literature certainly offered her a workout, and she sat back in her chair and handled all of it (seemingly) effortlessly. This time, I sheepishly introduced myself, and confessed to being a several-decades member of her fan club. (She and my son-in-law are friends, and that offered me an entry into a conversation.) Hey, it seems (??) as though she and I are now "friendly acquaintances". 8)

unexpected Christmas present #2
I was chatting with the IRIS Orchestra's recording engineer, http://artmusicrecording.com/jamey-lamar, who I've respected tremendously since day #1 of my association with the orchestra (roughly fifteen years), because of his consistently-superb live recordings, his musical (keyboard) skills, his knowledge of the history of music, and (well) - along with being a good keyboard musician - he's also a low brass player.

Sometimes, it's difficult to know if some of the things we personally strive to accomplish in our playing are - in fact - being accomplished, in that those things that we strive to do are being communicated to others in our music and in its execution. Jamey and I have spent some time - over the years - chatting in his recording office (obviously, during the rehearsals/performances of the numerous "no tuba" pieces). This weekend, Jamie laid a compliment on me (which was nice to receive), but - in particular - it made my ears perk up: "Unlike many tuba players that I hear and record, you resist the temptation to 'rat' on the loud low notes (yeah: one of my tuba-playing pet peeves). Your sound - in that range - always sounds like a lower extension of the rest of the instrument." :shock: 8)
:arrow: Here's the thing: Were I to actually ~directly ask~ many others whether I was accomplishing this sonic goal, they would likely either...
- patronize me
- not know the difference, and (thus) patronize me

So - this last weekend - I received two unexpected Christmas presents:
#1 a new peripheral association and performance experience that I never in my life expected to have
#2 unsolicited affirmation that I'm still (at this age) making a bit of progress

bloke "Hey...I already thought it was enough of a gift to be allowed to perform - once again - with the 'dream team': Tim Albright, Mike Hosford, and John Rojak."
the DT doing what they do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTFwU5Cu3jg
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: even better than new socks and underwear...

Postby Three Valves » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:58 pm

So, three gifts then, like gold, frankincense and that other thing...
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
FaxxHB
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Steginkt » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:13 pm

Always great to see more of Tim. I had the pleasure of studying with him for two years. What a guy.
Yamaha Xeno YSL-8820
Willson 3400 Eb
Lyon and Healy Sousaphone
5/4 Rudolf Meinl CC
Wessex trumpet
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:44 pm

This was recorded right around the time of that mezzanine lobby recital...except I was able to hear this level of playing live, and from ten feet away...

bloke

Postby Diego A. Stine » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:46 pm

Three Valves wrote:So, three gifts then, like gold, frankincense and that other thing...

But wait! There's myrrh...

Ba dum crash :mrgreen:
Diego Stine
Diego A. Stine
lurker
lurker

Return to TubeNet