6 Valve E Flat Tubas Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

6 Valve E Flat Tubas

Postby Levi12345 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:50 am

Does anybody know of any E Flat tuba models that have 6 valves?
Levi12345
lurker
lurker

Re: 6 Valve E Flat Tubas

Postby bloke » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:19 am

<sidebar>
As "low D" has now become a routinely-requested tuba pitch (for me: my last and next engagements, as anecdotal examples), I'm beginning to grow weary of ~not~ having a 6th valve on my C tuba. The act of reaching "way over there" to pull out the 4th slide several inches (though I have mine working quite smoothly) is disruptive...and I have chosen a C instrument for my own use that that doesn't require any 3rd or 4th (other than "low D") slide adjustments. Just fwiw, the typical 6-valve system fingering for low D on a six-valve C tuba would be 5-6-3-4, with the long half step #6 (rather than 2) eliminating the need for #4 slide-pulling.
</sidebar>

With this system on an Eb tuba, this system would allow for a 5-6-3-4 valve combination for "low F". As "low F" is a very commonly-requested pitch, the 5-2-3-pull4 combination for a non-compensating 5-valve Eb tuba proves to be a nuisance.

A 6th valve (again: long half step) also solves the 4 vs. 2-4 intonation math problem, and can also be used as a substitute for 1-2 and 2-3 tuning quirks (rather than pulling slides, and - in particular - without having to ever pull slide #3).

:arrow: I am aware that many people here know this stuff, and am only posting it for those who are interested in this thread, but may have possibly not previously thought about these issues.

:arrow: to attempt to answer the question asked...

Miraphone's beautiful brochure mentions that they are willing to consider custom requests, and this offering is mentioned underneath every single model.
I'd suspect (??) that Buffet (B&S/MW/MRP/etc.) might be willing to do the same thing.
Obviously, this is easier to engineer with rotary instruments than with piston instruments.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby tclements » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:38 am

Agreeing with Bloke, If you have your heart set on a rotary Eb, I can almost guarantee Mirafone, B&S, Meinl would be happy to build you one. Gronitz makes a very nice Eb as well, 5 valve, but I would think it'd be an easy matter to add a 6th. Meinl Weston makes the Titan 4+2, with 2 rotors on their piston F.
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby Patrase » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:07 pm

I have a 5 valve Norwegian star that I am tempted to have converted to 6 valve, with the thought being that the additional rotor would be plumbed into the 4th valve circuit. If you buy a used 5 valve Eb tuba you just need to find a valve off a rotary Bb tuba of the same bore in collaboration with a willing repairperson and voila! Or just get the factory to do it if buying new. If buying new I would consider getting one of the valves as dependent valves, as people more knowledgeable than me seem to indicate the less valves in the open bugle the better player they tend to be. But then you lose out on an alternate fingering option.

These projects are fun and worthwhile. I had my 4 valve Fafner converted to 6 valves, with the 5th and 6th valves being dependent valves and not in line, on the advice of one of those involved in the initial design of these tubas . Helps with all the brass band low register playing.
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:03 pm

With that extraordinarily long stretch of straight mouthpipe tubing above the rotors on the Miraphone 283B, I believe I would ignore the hear/feel-the-grass-grow crowd and install a 6th valve in the classic position.

Miraphone will sell you all the parts needed, even including a left-hand two-finger paddle assembly, and (if you're a 1st valve slide-puller) a right hand thumb trigger assembly for your first valve slide.
bloke

Postby jtuba » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:48 pm

Patrase wrote:
These projects are fun and worthwhile. I had my 4 valve Fafner converted to 6 valves, with the 5th and 6th valves being dependent valves and not in line, on the advice of one of those involved in the initial design of these tubas . Helps with all the brass band low register playing.

Pics :shock: ?
Your tax dollars at work.
jtuba
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Casca Grossa » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:41 pm

I was able to pick up a couple of old rotary Eb tubas on Ebay in the last year. They were stupid cheap. One Lignatone and one Amati. Essentially identical horns. I have been working on the Amati lately and I really lucked out with this one. Intonation is pretty good and pretty open in the low register. CC below the staff is the only note that requires a little work to speak easily. I will be making this one a 5 valve at the moment. The Amati is too good for me to mess up so I will let a local shop handle the work. I plan on making the Lignatone my project horn and hoping to make that a 6 valve. The tricky part for me will be to figure out where to put the sixth valve. There is plenty of space in the leadpipe to add the 5th just before the 1st valve but there is some extreme bending in the rest of the leadpipe. There isn't a ton of space after the valve section so that will be my head scratcher for a while. This is a distant future project so I won't be updating on this for a long time but it's one of those bucket list things for me to cobble together a rotary Eb.
Mack-a-clone 186 "Chairman Mao"
Blokepiece Imperial #2 Fair Dinkum Profundo Rim
Lignatone Eb "Charlene"
Blokepiece Solo
Why have 3 valves when you can have 6 and a main tuning slide kicker???
Casca Grossa
4 valves
4 valves

Postby groovlow » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:42 pm

groovlow
bugler
bugler

Return to TubeNet