6 Valve E Flat Tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
Levi12345
lurker
lurker

6 Valve E Flat Tubas

Post by Levi12345 »

Does anybody know of any E Flat tuba models that have 6 valves?
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Re: 6 Valve E Flat Tubas

Post by tclements »

Agreeing with Bloke, If you have your heart set on a rotary Eb, I can almost guarantee Mirafone, B&S, Meinl would be happy to build you one. Gronitz makes a very nice Eb as well, 5 valve, but I would think it'd be an easy matter to add a 6th. Meinl Weston makes the Titan 4+2, with 2 rotors on their piston F.
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Post by Patrase »

I have a 5 valve Norwegian star that I am tempted to have converted to 6 valve, with the thought being that the additional rotor would be plumbed into the 4th valve circuit. If you buy a used 5 valve Eb tuba you just need to find a valve off a rotary Bb tuba of the same bore in collaboration with a willing repairperson and voila! Or just get the factory to do it if buying new. If buying new I would consider getting one of the valves as dependent valves, as people more knowledgeable than me seem to indicate the less valves in the open bugle the better player they tend to be. But then you lose out on an alternate fingering option.

These projects are fun and worthwhile. I had my 4 valve Fafner converted to 6 valves, with the 5th and 6th valves being dependent valves and not in line, on the advice of one of those involved in the initial design of these tubas . Helps with all the brass band low register playing.
Miraphone Norwegian Star
Yamaha YBB-632 Bb Neo
jtuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by jtuba »

Patrase wrote:
These projects are fun and worthwhile. I had my 4 valve Fafner converted to 6 valves, with the 5th and 6th valves being dependent valves and not in line, on the advice of one of those involved in the initial design of these tubas . Helps with all the brass band low register playing.
Pics :shock: ?
Adjunct Tuba Professor, Christopher Newport University
Eastman Artist

groovlow
bugler
bugler

Post by groovlow »

viewtopic.php?t=33945
related CC 6th :wink: