a question about using my products Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

a question about using my products

Postby bloke » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:30 pm

Does anyone use the Sellmansberger Solo cup with a tall rim, or with a cup extender ring ?

If so, what is the application - or the make and model of instrument - with which you have found that combination useful?

(No one has asked me about this. Simply, this is something I have never done, and I am just curious if anyone else has.)

Thank-you for any responses, including newly-found pictures of beer maidens.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Re: a question about using my products

Postby Doc » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:45 pm

One of the best combinations on my kaiser is the Solo cup, Profundo (taller) rim, and extender ring. The kaiser loves deep bowls, and this stacked up combination works well. It sounds good with the Profundo rim and no extender ring, but the extender ring adds a little warmth to the sound and takes off a little edge in the low range (although the kaiser doesn’t have much low range edge to start with - it’s not a Thor or 191 down low). I’m also using the Profundo rim with the Symphony cup (for an ever-so-slightly difference in color). But the kaiser has that typical/desired “kaiser” sound with the Solo/Profundo/Extender combination.
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby opus37 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:40 pm

I will use the solo cup and an extender when I want a slightly brighter sound. It works on my 1892 Helicon and my Miraphone Starlight. The application is some brass quintet arrangements around the holidays and the helicon needs it on the street while marching. For some reason, the solo in any form, is just is not right for my Wessex travel tuba in Eb/F.
Brian
1893 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
2017 Wessex BR140 Baritone
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Postby MartyNeilan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:09 pm

Back when I had my Blokepieces, I liked the solo with the delrin cup extender on that big German 5/4-6/4 tuba, as well as on the 186 clone. To me, the regular depth solo didn't work as well on a bigger horn (it worked fine on Eb/F).
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Location: Selling Wessex EEb solo tuba http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=90523

Return to TubeNet