Howard Johnson visiting Dillon Music on 16 July 2005

The bulk of the musical talk
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Howard Johnson visiting Dillon Music on 16 July 2005

Post by Matt Walters »

I admit to a predjudice for front action tubas over top action. But I have to admit when I like a horn. Gerhard Meinl sent us a prototype of a 4 valve top action BBb for Howard Johnson to try on the 16th of July (Saturday) 2005. It's copied after Howard's DePrins tuba.

The advantage of working at a Music Store like Dillon Music is that sometimes Christmas comes early. Wow!! Howard's tuba is the same basic size as the Meinl Weston 2141 Eb tuba, but it's a 4 top action BBb tuba with a .670" bore. I found that every note except 2nd space C (4th valve right on the money) was within + or - 15 cents. It has a large 4/4 sound in a compact 4/4 package. If production horns will play like this, it will be awesome.

Besides the Jazz artist, a "Jazzer Horn" like this may appeal to a growing segment of retirees who want a lighter horn that still has a big sound.

I don't know the exact time Howard Johnson and Gerhard Meinl are showing up, but I will be at the store our entire 10 AM to 3 PM opening and my only job that day will be to help tubists! You've got to see and try this horn. Bring your Gravity CD's and see if we can get Howard to sign them for us. I'll post as I get more information.

For directions, call me or go to www.dillonmusic.com
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.
Alex F
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Alex F »

Might the new MW look something like this. . .

Alex F
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Alex F »

OK . . . did anyone happen to be at Dillon's today to check this out?

WOW . . .my 100th post. What's my prize??
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Well.....did anybody go?
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

yup
Last edited by CJ Krause on Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

Busy guy! :wink:
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
JayW
4 valves
4 valves

Post by JayW »

I wasnt able to go in yesterday :-( but earlier in the week Howard was in the shop trying out the new MW tuba... and let me tell you...... the combination was pretty spectacular. Not to mention he is a great guy with just an incredible amount of knowledge..... but hearing him test a horn was pretty cool toooo.
Jay
proud new owner of a kick arse Eastman 632
Photographer
Dog Lover
Hiker
Alex F
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Alex F »

Did anyone else get to see HJ or this MW prototype tuba? Does anyone know if MW is actually going to put this horn in regular production?

For folks that are blind in the right eye, there sure are not a lot of top action 4 valve options out there. There's a Yamanha student model, and two compensating tubas (Yamaha and Besson). I prefer the ergonomics of a front-action, either rotary or piston, but playing them requires tilting the bell tilted way to the left to see around them and the field of view of still obstructed.

Of course, some folks think I already tilt too much to the left . . .
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Post by TubaRay »

Alex F wrote: Of course, some folks think I already tilt too much to the left . . .
Unfortunately, we have a lot of those in this country.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
jacobg
3 valves
3 valves

Post by jacobg »

Yamaha YBB321 is 4 valve top action. I guess it is an intermediate model. I have one and it's not bad.
There's also a YEB321 in Eb, which as I understand it is considered to be a bit better than the Bb version. Maybe because there is no market for an intermediate horn in Eb? English amateur brass bands?