Only one, but which one? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Only one, but which one?

Postby Stryk » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:23 pm

After going through a devastating hurricane, one sees things differently. I have enjoyed having many tubas to play with, but I foresee downsizing in my future. If you could own only one horn, and if money were not an issue in the decision, what one horn would you choose?
Terry Stryker

Old, ugly horns that play really, really well.
Stryk
Retired Educator
Retired Educator

Re: Only one, but which one?

Postby Tim Jackson » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Good timing... I had a big church gig this past Sunday. Since it was a pretty large ensemble I decided to bring my big York which I just don't get much time on. It was great fun - I love the horn, even did me good in regards to the cross training mentioned earlier this week. But sadly for the first time I thought - maybe it's time to part with this 6/4. Also, every time I go back to my vintage 186 CC 5U I think this is SO FINE! I could never let these go, but.. I really think it has to do with getting older and I have such a full life - maybe one tuba focus would be good and that would be my Walter Nirschl 4/4 5v CC. I had an HB 21 for a while and that horn could also be a "one only" but the size took a bit more air that I don't have anymore. I have a few long phases in my "must play" solo rep and I aggravate toward the horn that allows for my developing short comings. Plus the Nirschl plays SO WELL! I love it and practice most every night. The HB 21 and the Nirschl both seem heavy - and heavier every day... but something about the resonance, flexibility, and I love the slotting in the ultra high range. I really like valves... too many tubas - too little time. I really don't want to part with anything, but the realities of life are more & more clear everyday.

The big problem in down sizing will be not only which tuba but...

which sousaphone, trombone, flugabone, electic bass, upright bass, drum set, and on and on and on!

Stryk, sorry I forgot to check on you after the storm- hope all is OK- let me know if you need anything!

Best, Tim
Tim Jackson
bugler
bugler

Postby pauvog1 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:34 pm

What type of playing do you mostly do (quintet, orchestra, community band, etc)?
Kalison DS
B&S PT-18p (MRP F)
pauvog1
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:38 pm

from my biased p.o.v...

If contrabass...
> something 4/4 - 5/4 that makes a nice sound and plenty of sound without demanding of it's player "daily routines" (i.e. "having to work really hard to overcome a tuba which tends to offer mediocre and unfocused sonic characteristics"), and that only requires a few (vs. "every d@mn note") #1 slide adjustments, with no #3 slide adjustments. "100% mechanical reliability" and "no clanking" (i.e. an instrument that allows a player to not really be aware of it when playing) are additional strengths which contribute more to music than some might currently understand.

If no "Clydesdale-esque depth charges" and/or "epic symphonic music" are ever encountered...
> a really well-made and really easy-to-play-in-tune compensating E-flat is a great tuba for casual brass quintet playing and two-or-more-on-a-part / fifty-or-more-members community band playing.

You know my rule:
"If it isn't paying its way, and (certainly) if it collects dust..."

adjusted for "for-the-love-of-it" musicians:
"If it is collecting dust, and doesn't fit into that with which I'm involved..."

yet another clue:
"If it's ~never~ the one that you pick up at home to play..."
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby MartyNeilan » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:29 pm

If having to choose between bigger and smaller, I would err on the side of bigger.
Many bigger horns can be played lighter with a shallower mouthpiece and gentle touch, but a smaller horn will only have so much girth to the sound.
See the recent post on F/CC for comparison.
By bigger, I would consider a 4/4+ to 5/4. A 6/4 as an only horn probably wouldn’t work unless it was only large bands or similar.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Donn » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:16 am

Stryk wrote:what one horn would you choose?

I'd give your tubas a brief play test, and take the one I liked the best.
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby roweenie » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:23 am

bloke wrote:something 4/4 - 5/4 that makes a nice sound and plenty of sound without demanding of it's player "daily routines" (i.e. "having to work really hard to overcome a tuba which tends to offer mediocre and unfocused sonic characteristics"), and that only requires a few (vs. "every d@mn note") #1 slide adjustments, with no #3 slide adjustments. 

J.W. York 712/716
heyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bort » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:56 am

Locked into one tuba forever?

I'd want to get my old Miraphone 188 back. And since that won't happen, I'd special order a brand new one, to the exact same specs.

Oh wait, money no option? I'll take the 30,000€ Thein CC, please. :P
B&S 4198 (PT-7P) <-- For sale!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=91221
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Casca Grossa » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:13 am

Miraphone 188
Mack-a-clone 186 Chairman Mao
Blokepiece Imperial
Lignatone Eb Sigmund Freud
Amati Eb Klement Gottwald
Blokepiece Solo
Mack Brass Bass Bone Sun Tzu
Douglas Yeo Replica Mouthpiece
Why have 3 valves when you can have 6 and a main tuning slide kicker???
Casca Grossa
4 valves
4 valves

Postby hup_d_dup » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:04 pm

I play Bb and Eb horns. If I had to choose, it would be my Besson 983. It doesn't have the big sound of the Bb, but in all other respects it is more versatile.

It also has the incidental advantage that it is much easier to transport than my 5/4 Bb.

Hup
Facebook is your friend, your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Postby tclements » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:42 pm

4/4 Hirsbrunner or Mirafone Bruckner.
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby bort » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:15 pm

tclements wrote:4/4 Hirsbrunner

^ If you haven't already, don't sell the one you have!
B&S 4198 (PT-7P) <-- For sale!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=91221
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:46 pm

Stryk wrote:After going through a devastating hurricane, one sees things differently. I have enjoyed having many tubas to play with, but I foresee downsizing in my future. If you could own only one horn, and if money were not an issue in the decision, what one horn would you choose?

As money is no issue. Pick out one and give the rest of them to me. If you don't want to be troubled with shipping them, I'm willing to meet you in beautiful downtown Montgomery (or, perhaps, Dothan) and buy you a Subway sandwich after the hand-off.
bloke

Postby Peach » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:32 pm

B+H Eb Comp. 19" bell.
Hugely versatile tubas.
Respond well to mouthpiece changes to alter sound.
Recordings stand testament that these CAN sound great playing Berlioz to Prokofiev, although you'd get no argument from me that other instruments would cover the extremeties in a more natural way.

Didn't Mr Bobo state if he had to play one tuba it would be one of these? Maybe he was joking..!

MP
Peach
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:11 pm

With the big 19" bells that most comp Eb tubas feature today, I'm not sure that I would sign on to the (paraphrasing) "easy to alter the sound" claim particularly enthusiastically, but - when played well - they do sound "pretty", and (again: my experience) it's a bit of a challenge to make one of those tubas sound "scary" or "ominous" (etc.)

I don't possess the world's most amazing memory, but something about "Bobo" seemed to remind me that his view (at least, sometime in the past) of the sonic quality of 19" compensating Eb tubas (i.e. they kinda sound about the same no matter what...sorta like euphoniums) lines up with my own observations.

Can anyone refute or reinforce my recollection of (or best: quote him) Mr. Bobo's distant-past remark/quote re: the sonic quality of 19" bell compensating Eb tubas?
bloke

Postby Stryk » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:21 pm

Thanks, Tim, we were hit really hard, but are back in the house. Still a lot of repairing to do, mostly drywall, siding, railings, and the like. We are just thinking #1 Do we want to stay here in a demolished town while it rebuilds, and #2 Might this be the time to downsize and move on. Thanks for the insight - I am thinking about the same things right now. I have a few that I have no problem parting with, but about 5 I want to keep, but know it's likely not a good idea.

Tim Jackson wrote:

Stryk, sorry I forgot to check on you after the storm- hope all is OK- let me know if you need anything!

Best, Tim
Terry Stryker

Stryk
Retired Educator
Retired Educator

Postby Stryk » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:24 pm

Mostly community band and church orchestra at this point in my life. There are a couple regional orchestras I have subbed for before, and did have a very active quintet, but do neither much anymore. I'd rather just play for enjoyment.

pauvog1 wrote:What type of playing do you mostly do (quintet, orchestra, community band, etc)?
Terry Stryker

Stryk
Retired Educator
Retired Educator

Postby Stryk » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:28 pm

bloke wrote: Pick out one and give the rest of them to me.

Well, the theory I am working on here is that selling what I have will help fund my "only one" horn. Hey, anything is possible, I got rid of 5 vehicles after the hurricane.
Terry Stryker

Stryk
Retired Educator
Retired Educator

Postby bloke » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:50 pm

got it.
Last edited by bloke on Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
bloke

Postby Peach » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:45 pm

bloke wrote:With the big 19" bells that most comp Eb tubas feature today, I'm not sure that I would sign on to the (paraphrasing) "easy to alter the sound" claim particularly enthusiastically, but - when played well - they do sound "pretty", and (again: my experience) it's a bit of a challenge to make one of those tubas sound "scary" or "ominous" (etc.)

Think I've scared a few listeners on my Eb over the years.
Oh wait, maybe that's Scarred...

Actually, with a certain Blokepiece Solo a good level of traction/bite/purchase is available, getting the dog to bark a little if that's what you mean...?
Peach
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Next

Return to TubeNet