Only one, but which one? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: Only one, but which one?

Postby luke_hollis » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:38 pm

Let's be honest here, is not the grass always greener on the other side?

I have a great horn - Nirschl CC 4/4 purchased new from Custom Music in 1997. Fantastic all the way around but yet I wonder, would the 6/4 version give me slightly more oomph and satisfaction? But at what cost? Only the shadow knows.....

Of course, if you are playing a real clunker, it's definitely greener on the other side.
luke_hollis
bugler
bugler

Postby Stryk » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:39 pm

luke_hollis wrote:
Of course, if you are playing a real clunker, it's definitely greener on the other side.

LOL - my Amati is a good player, but I was seeing what might be out there that is "better". That horn is about all I use anymore, so it may end up being my one and only. It is light, it plays in tune, I can get a good sound (as good as my sound can get) on it. I guess there really is no magic bullet out there.
Terry Stryker

Old, ugly horns that play really, really well.
Stryk
Retired Educator
Retired Educator

Postby BBruce107 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:35 am

If I were to only pick one tuba for the rest of my career I would shoot for a 5/4 CC. Most likely either a Bruckner or a PT6 would be at the top of my list. If money were no issue I would also consider a Nirschel York.
Brandon Bruce
Alma Symphony Orchestra
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Postby TubaSteve » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:43 pm

I am among the ones on here that play several different horns. I don't know what I would do if I could only have one horn. I love my Reynolds BB Sousaphone, so unless I have the option of having a Tuba and a Sousaphone, that makes the decision much harder. Lately I have been spending some time on my 6/4 Holton BB that Lee Stofer restored for me a few years ago. This horn has such beautiful full sound, but I will admit that it is a struggle in the low registers. I have been getting better the more time I have on the horn, but if I have a set that has a ton of basement notes, I am probably better with my 1964 Reynolds 170 with either the recording or upright bell, or my Meinl Weston 25. In actuality, the Meinl Weston is a very versatile horn, and would most likely be my "If only" horn. That said, I have not spent that much time on it lately as I have been having great fun with the Holton. (Isn't that what it is all about anyway?) I did three Christmas concerts this past season with the Holton in three very different rooms. One classic church with high ceiling, with the ensemble at the front of the church. One at a modern style church with an open room that is very lively and great sound, and one in a large several hundred seat Siebert Chapel at Carthage College, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOVLuRrdIv8
In each case, I was thrilled to have the Holton.

Steve
MW-25, 2-Reynolds 170 (BBb Recording Bass), Reynolds 180 (EEb Recording Bass) , 2-Reynolds 140 Sousaphones, Holton 350, others.....
TubaSteve
bugler
bugler

Previous

Return to TubeNet