Stainless Steel Helleberg?

The bulk of the musical talk
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Stainless Steel Helleberg?

Post by Kirley »

Now that Paul Sidey has passed away, what other options are available for Hellebergs in stainless?

I know that Kelly makes one.

Other suggestions?

Or is there any news regarding his family selling or continuing his business?
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Stainless Steel Helleberg?

Post by GC »

Houser, the folks who make Blokepieces for Bloke, have rim, cup, and shanks available. They're scattered through the various parts of the page: several Houser and Bloke Helleburg rim variations, and a Parker Helleburg cup and shank. See https://sep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-582095 ... 544727297&.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I think the only tuba mouthpiece maker that doesn't have one they describe with the term "Helleberg" might be Bach - and a lot of those "Hellebergs" would be not far from, say, a Bach 12. If you want a flat rim, a particularly conical cup, a specific throat bore, etc., you have to verify all that, because the indiscriminate use of that name puts all that into doubt. The Sidey copies are supposed to have been rigorously faithful, so that doesn't apply to them.
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

I was hoping for a “simple” one-piece model.

Donn, I know everyone and their mom makes a Helleberg. I’m looking for one in stainless.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Check a Giddings & Webster Diablo (first G&W model that I ever tried, although I eventually bought a Bayamo). They mention "Helleberg" on their size chart as a rough equivalent for three models: the Diablo, Matanuska, and Talladega.
https://www.gwmouthpieces.com/pages/mou ... size-chart" target="_blank
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Kirley wrote:Donn, I know everyone and their mom makes a Helleberg. I’m looking for one in stainless.
Everyone and their mom makes a mouthpiece and says "Helleberg". Conn, Sidey and a few others make Hellebergs. I think the odds are pretty good on Kelly, since the polycarbonate copy seems reasonably faithful, but I don't remember getting any detailed information on it.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

If you have a favorite Helleberg mouthpiece in brass, I wonder if G&W would duplicate it? Or do any of the other companies that offer mouthpiece duplication work in stainless steel?
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Kirley wrote:I was hoping for a “simple” one-piece model.

I know everyone and their mom makes a Helleberg. I’m looking for one in stainless.
Why not just post a "Want To Buy Sidey SSH Mouthpiece" ad here?

There are enough of them out there that they aren't "rare." They regularly come up for sale at reasonable prices. That seems much easier than sampling mouthpieces from various makers that purport to be Hellebergs or having a duplicate custom made for you.

Or is "new" a requirement also?

No idea what has or will become of Paul's designs and his business now.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

I would take Tom's advice if a SSH is what you have to have.

If you have to have a new one, call Dave Houser and see if he will make you one. Odds are that Houser owns the designs of all the mouthpieces he produced for Sidey. That seemed obviously the case when he formerly made LOUD stuff, then made them again post-LOUD.
Mark Horne
bugler
bugler

Post by Mark Horne »

A few years ago I purchased a stainless steel mouthpiece from eBay - 2-piece with the underpart engraved "Houser-Lamb." In researching the piece I found an earlier posting on TubeNet's for sale section from Steve Lamb describing it as a Sidey Helleberg profile cut into a Sellmansberger blank. In the posting (which I can't seem to find anymore) Steve describes (seemingly a bit sheepishly) that Dave had decided to add the "Houser-Lamb" designation himself. My impression is that this is a one-off piece. Coupled with a "No. 1 Semi-Flat" rim, it has become my go-to mouthpiece for all my CC playing, especially the Alexander 163.

I suspect that Houser would be able to re-create this piece if requested.
Alexander 163 CC 5V, MW Thor, Mel Culbertson Neptune, B&S Symphonie F 6V
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Donn, I know everyone and their mom makes a Helleberg. I’m looking for one in stainless.
If you really don't want a blokepiece, although think about it: I never take mine apart.
https://www.kellymouthpieces.com/kmstai ... /index.asp" target="_blank
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

bloke wrote:I take mine apart when I run out of the stuff that I use, someone places an order for those same parts, and I know that we will run more of those particular parts before my next gig. :oops:
Thanks for being customer-oriented. It is a compliment to your quality-control that you can do that.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Schlepporello wrote:
iiipopes wrote:
If you really don't want a blokepiece, although think about it: I never take mine apart.
https://www.kellymouthpieces.com/kmstai ... /index.asp" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Same here. I bought a Blokepiece rim and a mouthpiece. I also bought the same sized rim in Delrin. These are the only two rims I have and I only have one bowl. I also have a stainless steel Kellyberg. I thought it was great until I bought the Blokepiece. Guess which one is my "Go to" mouthpiece now?
Indeed. Read my signature.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

I have a stainless Kellyberg I would be willing to sell if you would be interested.

ken k
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

Thanks for the offer Ken. I might take you up on that after the holidays.

The TNFJ never disappoints! You guys are hysterical.

FWIW, I have a blokepiece for my 2341. Symphony model. Works great. Doesn't work great with a couple other horns.

I am getting good results on those horns using a standard silver plated Helleberg. But I like the feel of stainless more. That's all. Just looking to see what options are out there that I might not have been aware of.

Thanks for the input everyone!
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

Kirley wrote:Thanks for the offer Ken. I might take you up on that after the holidays.

The TNFJ never disappoints! You guys are hysterical.

FWIW, I have a blokepiece for my 2341. Symphony model. Works great. Doesn't work great with a couple other horns.

I am getting good results on those horns using a standard silver plated Helleberg. But I like the feel of stainless more. That's all. Just looking to see what options are out there that I might not have been aware of.

Thanks for the input everyone!
fyi i feel the stainless Kellyberg is a bit "tighter" than the regular Conn Helleberg.

kk
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650