I'd like to share my daily routine.

The bulk of the musical talk
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

I'd like to share my daily routine.

Post by BopEuph »

So I compiled this daily routine years ago so I didn't have to carry a stack of books to the practice room while in college. It's a combination of Arban's, Remington, Clarke, and one or two from a couple of other studies.

I first wrote this out on euphonium, but when my horn was stolen, I decided a better use of my time would be to learn how to play tuba. This was pretty much most of my work.

I've created personal drone tracks that work as tuning play-alongs for some of the long tone exercises and lip slurs, but as they come from copyrighted recordings, I can't really share them. Either way, I've been doing these religiously for a while now, and the whole thing takes between 90 minutes and two hours to get through, then I play whatever literature I'm working on.

Over time, I've altered things to my needs around these exercises, and most of it is second nature enough that I can watch Netflix while going through them. Here's some of the alterations I've made:

1.) Page 1, "Track 1": I do this three times: once up the octave, then as written, then down an octave. All buzzed.

2.) Page 2, "Track 3": Up the octave, then as written...then (as I have a 3-valve BBb), do the exercise on false-tone E-flat, and work down to pedal B-flat.

3.) "Track 4": Up the octave and work down to starting note being F an octave below the staff, so my last note is pedal B-flat.

4.) Page 3, "Track 6": I actually just play this up an octave.

5.) Page 3, the second etude: I've been working this down as low as I can, so I first do this in C major, starting on the C just above pedal B-flat. Then, I do it an octave higher than written. Goal being articulate and in time in extreme ranges.

6.) Page 6-7 lip slurs: I work this all the way up to Bb-C above the staff as a lip slur, currently working on this at 90. Really hoping to get that lip slur for Die Meistersinger down.

7.) Decided to start pushing the articulation etudes faster. Brian Bowman once told me a while back that he was trying to move single-tonguing to 144, so I'm working towards that...which is a slow process.

I've been introducing this to my low brass students, with a lot of success. I thought it might help some others, and critiquing is welcome.

There are a couple of mistakes in it, but I've been lazy to fix them, and they really don't affect the benefits as they are.

If the link goes dead, let me know and I can share it again somewhere else.

Also, mods, if this is against the rules, no worries.

https://www.docdroid.net/hBrE7fC/tuba-routine.pdf" target="_blank
Nick
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Re: I'd like to share my daily routine.

Post by jperry1466 »

Thanks. Going to look these over.