Getting more tuba gigs

The bulk of the musical talk
IsaacTuba
bugler
bugler

Getting more tuba gigs

Post by IsaacTuba »

I've recently just had my first gig playing in a church orchestra and it was a fantastic experience. I want to know how to get more gigs, it seems like a lot of people here get so many of them especially during this season.

Where can I look? I'm based in Central Arizona and I'm willing to drive up to 45 minutes away from my home.
Arizona State University BM 23'
Baylor University MM 25'

Eastman 836GS CC
Miraphone 181 F
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Getting more tuba gigs

Post by BopEuph »

Getting a gig is very unique in each setting, and ask ten different professionals, and you'll get ten different answers.

There's a few ways, but probably the two main ways for you is to freelance and audition.

Auditioning is self-explanatory, and there's plenty of information on this site and others on how to land auditions.

To freelance, you just have to establish a good reputation for yourself. Make sure your playing is at a high level, and shake hands. Do everything right on the gig: show up on time, be friendly (but not too friendly), solve every problem yourself as much as possible, thank the leader for the gig, etc. Find out who the contractors are in your area, and contact them. Look up Seth Hanes. He has a book and a Facebook group dedicated to learning these skills.

Good luck and happy gigging!
Nick
tubamarc8891
bugler
bugler

Post by tubamarc8891 »

I think the best advice on this I received was from John Clayton:

"Don't network, make connections"- in other words, people know when they are being used. Build friendly relationships with people who can help you.

"Don't go to a city for the scene. YOU BRING THE SCENE. Arrive prepared with your art." -Make your own gigs! It's not easy but even attempting that is a more valuable lesson than any music school could ever teach you.

Not sure if you're closer to Flagstaff or Phoenix. Phoenix is a small scene and it's hard (as it is in any city) to crack into it. Especially with there being some fantastic tuba players and ASU in close proximity. There is a need for a brass band (youngblood style) in that town since Bad Cactus disbanded so that would be a great place to start.

Prescott has a new orchestra. That could be an interesting place to start something.

I'm not too familiar with the scene in Flagstaff. It seems like professors and students at NAU get the majority of the work.

Make it your goal to be as versatile as possible. If you can't play jazz-start. If you don't compose- start.

People you should meet in Phoenix:
Kevin Bock
Deanna Swoboda
Patrick Sheridan
Chuck Kerrigan

Best of luck. Hope this helps.
U.S. Army Band “Pershing’s Own”
Wessex Chicago Presence CC
Eastman 866 F
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Post by BopEuph »

YES. I forgot this one.

If you play a section instrument, you could get away without taking lessons. BUT, as a tuba player, you'll very rarely run into other tuba players who can vouch for you.
Nick