Sousaphone ID?

The bulk of the musical talk
SRanney
3 valves
3 valves

Sousaphone ID?

Post by SRanney »

Hey there -

I mostly lurk these days looking for just the right tuba to buy. It's been a while since I've played but I do keep a mouthpiece in my car and buzz frequently.

I spotted this instrument in a downtown antique store the other day. It has a large engraving on the bell (no naked-lady here, though) and just says

"CONN
Elkhart
IN
USA"

Bell: https://imgur.com/oTxpF75
Body: https://imgur.com/d7mg6rC

All valves and slides move freely but the bell is stuck and is held on with two thumb screws. All I know about sousaphones is that I played on 20Ks in highschool and at ASU and IU (nearly 25 years ago!) but I have no idea what this instrument is. It appears similar to those that I played back then but I just don't know.

Regardless of what it is, the price seems pretty remarkable. The sticker on the bell asks $125. Seems like a no brainer, to be honest, but to play test I'd still need a neck and at least one bit. (I could probably get in touch with the local HS band director and borrow one of each for an afternoon, I'm sure.) There are a few large dents towards the bell-end of the instrument; I don't think they'd affect sound all that much.

I'm not looking to play this instrument in any group; it'd really just be to have and play on my own. Some other concert instrument is still what I'd like to find but at $125, it might be too hard to pass this one up!

Thanks for your help!
NCSUSousa
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Sousaphone ID?

Post by NCSUSousa »

For $125, I'd buy it even if it doesn't play. Looks like a 20K to me. If it was built in Elkhart, there's a solid chance that it can be brought back to life (if it isn't currently playable) by any decent brass tech for way less than what you can then sell/trade it towards the instrument you really want.
BBb Tuba with 4 Rotors -
TE-2110 (2009) + TE Rose
Mack 210 (2011) + Bruno Tilz NEA 310 M0
G. Schneider (Made in GDR, 1981?) + Conn Helleberg 120S
I earn my living as an Electrical Engineer - Designing Power systems for buildings
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Sousaphone ID?

Post by Kirley »

Conn 20K.
Just buy it.
The neck and bits will probably cost you more than the horn but that's a great deal.
Bring it to a shop and drop a few hundred into it. You're way ahead of the game.
Lucky you!