circular flanges (sheet metal discs) for Euro-style braces Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

circular flanges (sheet metal discs) for Euro-style braces

Postby bloke » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:16 pm

Others take pride in their ability to do everything themselves.

I have developed some misc. and specific skills in various disciplines over the years, but if there is some inexpensive-to-affordable (i.e. "worth it") already-manufactured thing, I'm not particularly interested in making that thing myself - simply for the bragging rights of being able to say, "I made that". ex: I could make a hammer from scratch, but I would prefer to BUY a used/new one for $1 - $20.

I have saved up plenty of European-style (brazed/non-adjustable/ornate) tuba braces over the years. When I cut them down, I have to "mess with" them...a lot...and that is a lot of time - time in my life being something that I value. Recently, I asked Miraphone if they would make some for me - to specific widths - and (extraordinarily graciously) they agreed to...and for reasonable-to-me prices.

Since then, I've discovered a source that speeds up re-purposing already-owned-but-the-wrong-width European-style solid braces:
Some jewelry supply houses offer nickel silver sheet metal discs in various gauges and diameters. 22 gauge is ideal for brass instrument brace flanges, and that is a thickness that is offered. It's really nice to have perfect circles (and all I have to do is bend them to the curvature of whatever surface) that (rather than making) I can just (again: affordably) buy. 8)

Also, they are typically shipped "dead soft", which makes them much easier to bend (rather than already work-hardened).

I would have put this in the "Repair blah-blah" forum, but I wonder how many people visit it.

22 gauge round nickel silver sheet metal discs of various diameters :arrow: http://www.thunderbirdsupply.com/nickel-silver-discs?pagenumber=2
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: circular flanges (sheet metal discs) for Euro-style brac

Postby roweenie » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:39 pm

That is a great resource, bloke - thanks for sharing!

I can also see them used as small patches....

(******THIS is one of the things I love about this forum******)
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Ken Herrick » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:49 pm

BINGO some things there I have been looking for! Thanks
Free to tuba: good home
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:20 pm

Here are some that I just received from them in 1-1/4" diameter and 22 gauge thickness (which is a very customary thickness for brace flanges on brass instruments).

Two of them will become the support flanges for my Meinl Weston "tenor tuba" 's chair peg:

(Thick-wall hollow brass tubing will be brazed on to both, and a tension screw system will be brazed on to the hollow brass tubing on one of them - to receive a stainless steel chair peg.)

bloke

Postby Snake Charmer » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:21 am

Instead of a fixed support I recommend the Ergobrass system (www.ergobrass.com), it is very comfortable to use and with the spring-loaded stem very natural in the movement
Snake Charmer
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:22 am

Thanks very much for the advice and for the link.
Two horn player friends use (perhaps that one?) springy supports. One of them might even be a seller of them.
It's a personal preference. Just as with the cimbasso, I prefer that the instrument remain in the same position, and not have the mouthpiece position be effected by (as an example) activating the #5 thumb lever.
bloke

Postby Kirley » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:35 am

I have an old iteration of the ErgoBone. The spring is optional on it. A thumb screw locks it out. Or, you also have the option of completely removing it.

The current one appears to lack that additional thumbscrew. But I bet you can pull the spring off the its collar. Or possibly just flip it 180.

But maybe it’s cheaper for Bloke to make his own. It currently lists for 130€. $150. Plus shipping.
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bloke » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:22 pm

I can make precisely what I want in about an hour (perhaps two), and the materials (as most materials tend to cost very little, compared to the cost of finished products) are here.

An added plus is that I can slip the rod out and tuck it along the case interior underneath the hinge-side pad...and there's no clunky one-more-thing for which transport must be devised.

I know I can make it better than I can draw it in "Paint", and possibly faster.

bloke

Postby toobagrowl » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:15 pm

So basically a bloke-version of the "Stewart Stand" :wink:

I've only 'messed with' euphoniums, baritone horns a few times and the most annoying thing I've noticed with them is that you have to hold/cradle them while you play. Kind of an awkward instrument to do that with. Yeah tubas are bigger and heavier, but at least you can just rest tubas in your lap and easily adjust them (for the most part) to reach your embouchure.

Kinda surprised I don't see more euph/baritone horn/tenor tuba players use contraptions for easier use, at least while seated :idea:
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:01 pm

That's a fair analogy, but without the Velcro and plastic that scratch up the instrument, and without the heavy steel hardware that otherwise must be lugged around - which will not fit in the case with the instrument, and from which the instrument needs to be protected.
bloke

Postby Snake Charmer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:46 am

There is one big difference between the Ergobrass and the other systems: the Ergobrass stem is connected with the instrument in one swivelling point, if possible in the center of gravity or as close as you can fix it. So you can hold the horn just like without any stand but also without weight, it is just hovering in front of you. All fixed devices are just the same as a big tuba standing on your lap, chair or a stand, and you have to move to the proper position to meet the mouthpiece in the right way. It is the only comfortable way to play small but heavy horns with lots of valves ( like the french C-tuba and the 5 valve Bb Saxhorn ), but it will be a blessing for all tenor tubas, baritones and euphoniums as well.
I am not involved in selling those, but if you can try one, DO IT! I played for some years with an inexpensive rigid stem (looking like Capt. Ahab's leg), but I will not go back for it since I have the Ergobrass. And you can take it apart, so it will fit in the most cases without problems. I would have made my own version of it, but do not have a lathe...
Snake Charmer
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:38 pm

bloke wrote:Others take pride in their ability to do everything themselves.

I have developed some misc. and specific skills in various disciplines over the years, but if there is some inexpensive-to-affordable (i.e. "worth it") already-manufactured thing, I'm not particularly interested in making that thing myself - simply for the bragging rights of being able to say, "I made that". ex: I could make a hammer from scratch, but I would prefer to BUY a used/new one for $1 - $20.

I have saved up plenty of European-style (brazed/non-adjustable/ornate) tuba braces over the years. When I cut them down, I have to "mess with" them...a lot...and that is a lot of time - time in my life being something that I value. Recently, I asked Miraphone if they would make some for me - to specific widths - and (extraordinarily graciously) they agreed to...and for reasonable-to-me prices.

Since then, I've discovered a source that speeds up re-purposing already-owned-but-the-wrong-width European-style solid braces:
Some jewelry supply houses offer nickel silver sheet metal discs in various gauges and diameters. 22 gauge is ideal for brass instrument brace flanges, and that is a thickness that is offered. It's really nice to have perfect circles (and all I have to do is bend them to the curvature of whatever surface) that (rather than making) I can just (again: affordably) buy. 8)

Also, they are typically shipped "dead soft", which makes them much easier to bend (rather than already work-hardened).

I would have put this in the "Repair blah-blah" forum, but I wonder how many people visit it.

22 gauge round nickel silver sheet metal discs of various diameters :arrow: http://www.thunderbirdsupply.com/nickel-silver-discs?pagenumber=2
bloke

Return to TubeNet