Anyone test play a Stofer?

The bulk of the musical talk
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Anyone test play a Stofer?

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

I did play one briefly the last time I was at his shop. It was the best playing CC tuba of that size/style I've played. Nice round, yet compact sound, and without any of the issues that the Getzens they are patterned after sometimes suffer from. I also played it in the BBb configuration and was surprised at how well it still played, especially in the low register.
If I had the money, I'd be interested in a BBb version, as he said that was also an option, but I can't justify spending that much on a horn at the moment no matter how good it may be. I'd definitely recommend trying one out if possible.
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men"

It's that word "handcraft"...
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

A bit larger than a 12J. Same size as a modern King 2341, a York 33, and those Eastman 4/4 CC tubas that are popular at the moment. All those horns are based around the same bugle.
While the bore and overall wrap of the horn are relatively small, the fairly rapid taper of the bugle and the large bell flare give it a bigger sound than what it looks like. Horns of this type bridge the gap between big tubas and small tubas very well, I think.
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men"

It's that word "handcraft"...
Dan Bradley
bugler
bugler

Post by Dan Bradley »

I know someone that recently got a Stofer/Getzen/CB-50. He loves the horn and says that it is the CB-50 with all problems removed. To my ear, it has a very classic American/York-style sound that you don't get on many horns these days. Great intonation and color.

Dan Bradley
VA