The bulk of the musical talk
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Calgary Airport shut down after rifle scare

Post by hup_d_dup »

It was a clarinet.

https://www.ludwig-van.com/toronto/2018 ... for-a-gun/" target="_blank

Goes to show clarinets can do great damage.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Calgary Airport shut down after rifle scare

Post by edsel585960 »

Damn woodwinds :D :lol:
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

Our Civil War brass band plays each year in the Pennsylvania Capitol Rotunda in Harrisburg. All instruments must go through the metal detector machines before we are admitted. Then we, wearing our uniforms with brass buttons and belt buckles, with polished brass shoulder scales, must pass through the human metal detectors. Sometimes, they require me to take the tuba out of the case and they look down the bell. They are usually surprised that the machines go off when we arrive. Go figure. But, no clarinets!
Bearin' up!
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I think HS marching bands stopped carrying faux rifles for color guards in the 90s.

“Something had to be done!!”
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
JasonEuphonium
bugler
bugler

Post by JasonEuphonium »

Three Valves wrote:I think HS marching bands stopped carrying faux rifles for color guards in the 90s.
Perhaps a joke has flown over my head, but there's still plenty of rifle work in color guard groups, marching band and drum corps and beyond. They usually tape them up with white tape or a fluorescent color - could hardly be mistaken for the real thing, even from far away.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Maybe in Texas!!

In Carter’s inauguration the faux bolts were removed. In Bush I there were no rifles. (Delaware)
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Post by jperry1466 »

And I thought it was just trombones that were dangerous - at least the ones I taught.
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

hup_d_dup wrote:It was a clarinet.

https://www.ludwig-van.com/toronto/2018 ... for-a-gun/" target="_blank" target="_blank

Goes to show clarinets can do great damage.

Hup
Am I missing something? I can't find where it says it was a clarinet... (There's a picture of a clarinet front and center, but no actual mention of the specific instrument in the article.)
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

Back in 1966 I was in the Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps at Keesler AFB (G bugles back then). Vice President Hubert Humphrey was in the reviewing stand as our corps, troops and then the drill team marched by. We stopped in front to play something facing the stand and all went fine. The drill team did a routine in front of the review stand and their leader with sabre was doing some sort of salute and his sabre flew out of his hand and stuck in the ground in front of the stand. Oops!
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

PMeuph wrote: Am I missing something? I can't find where it says it was a clarinet... (There's a picture of a clarinet front and center, but no actual mention of the specific instrument in the article.)
It was reported elsewhere.

https://slippedisc.com/2018/12/xmas-woe ... -clarinet/" target="_blank

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
Mike C855B
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike C855B »

I personally think that this is more about the apparent isolation and relative ignorance of the rank-and-file security officer, who happens to be put in a position to make your life and the lives of others miserable for trivial or even nonsense reasons. If you don't know what a clarinet is you've led a closeted life. Over the years I've learned that normal-to-me trappings of various hobbies - ham radio, for example - can make for tense moments in a security screening setting. My concern is what we are "permitted" to do these days is increasingly controlled by the lowest common denominator.
Miraphone 191 4-valve
1925 Conn 28J
Cerveny CEP 531-4M
Fox 880 "Sayen" (oops... that's an oboe) ;)
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

The ludwig-van.com article says nothing about a security officer reporting a clarinet. Could've been a civilian bystander.

Still, the idea that a random person doesn't know what a clarinet looks like -- or what a rifle looks like -- is disappointing.
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Post by jperry1466 »

It was reported to be a clarinet here: https://slippedisc.com/2018/12/xmas-woe ... -clarinet/
Both can be deadly, and it's hard to see the difference if you work for Calgary Airport Security. 8)

Is there any difference between the sound of a clarinet and that of a cat in heat?
Of course there is, but only if the cat's in good health.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Confusing it with a rifle is inexcusable.

But a sawed off shotgun seems reasonable. The wholes and keys are obviously adjustable recoil brakes....
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

If those darn gangsters had never hidden a machine gun in a violin case we wouldn't have all of these problems traveling with musical instruments.
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You