Mystery Soviet Helicon - Ideas?

The bulk of the musical talk
Xenol
lurker
lurker

Mystery Soviet Helicon - Ideas?

Post by Xenol »

Christmas night, after much too much alcohol, I decided to purchase a mystery soviet Eb Helicon from a Ukrainian dealer on Ebay. After sobering up the next morning, I realised I had no idea about the provenance of this instrument.

While I await it's arrival, what do you chaps make of it? It looks to be in decent nick considering how much I paid for it, bit of sloppy soldering here and there, but most of the slides move and the seller assures me the valves work fine. Might have picked myself up a bargain :tuba:

Images-l1600-6 by Xenol, on Flickr

Images-l1600-8 by Xenol, on Flickr

Images-l1600-7 by Xenol, on Flickr

ImageScreen Shot 2018-12-27 at 15.05.56 by Xenol, on Flickr
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Mystery Soviet Helicon - Ideas?

Post by edsel585960 »

I've bought from this seller before. He's reliable and does a great packing job. I've got the Bb helicon he was selling on its way. Interested to see what it's like when it arrives but for the price I'm not going to complain much. :) That's a nice looking little helicon. I think you got a bargain even if you have to do a little work on it. :tuba:
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
Xenol
lurker
lurker

Post by Xenol »

Thanks for the reply, I look forward to seeing how the Bb turns out for you! I'm quite excited really, would make standing/marching jobs with the band so much more comfortable if she's a runner.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

If the intonation works for you but the ergonomics don't, it might not be too hard to move things around a little. I mean, not that I could do it, but I understand that there are people who know how to work with tubing like that to reroute the leadpipe and maybe move the valves out a little. I had a Czech Eb that was a little awkward for me, very awkward for its previous owner. Will be very interested to hear how it plays.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

With the logo, it could have been made in the Kiev Radio Factory. Yes, they made musical instruments. I have a 3-rotor oval baritone that the Cyrillic translates to that.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

bloke wrote:question:
Was this instrument shortened to C ?

Looks more like it was in CC and lengthened to BBb..... :lol: :tuba:
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I expect I'm missing the joke here, but as Xenol says, it's a full circle Eb. Fat tuba for a skinny player.
Xenol
lurker
lurker

Post by Xenol »

iiipopes wrote:With the logo, it could have been made in the Kiev Radio Factory. Yes, they made musical instruments. I have a 3-rotor oval baritone that the Cyrillic translates to that.
Interesting! Thanks for the info.