Multi-Bell Euph. in Hogsmeade (W.W. of Harry Potter)

The bulk of the musical talk
Sous-Chef-Phone
bugler
bugler

Multi-Bell Euph. in Hogsmeade (W.W. of Harry Potter)

Post by Sous-Chef-Phone »

For your consideration: I visited the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (Universal's Adventure Island in Orlando) this holiday and noticed THIS specimen in a Hogsmeade upper window. It's supposedly associated with a fictional wizard store called "Dominic Maestro's Music Shop".

Based on the size of the nearby accordion (and a violin and french horn, not visible), I think it's probably a euphonium and not a tuba. It seems like the tuning slides were removed and welded to small auxiliary bells in an attempt to make the horn look more "magical."

The speakers were playing a recording of a tuba, but this horn almost certainly wouldn't sound anything like it. If I had to guess, it probably would work like a series of bugles with the option of being a bass bugle only on an open valve combo. Keys pressed further to the left would cut off airflow to valves on the right, so sound would only ever come out of a single bell at a time.

(Apologies for the window glare. I tried to enhance the image as best I could, but the angle of the sun made it impossible to get a good shot, and I couldn't find a better one online.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My horn: Jupiter 378 BBb 3/4 Tuba, 3 valves
Currently borrowing: Martin Elkhart BBb 4/4 Tuba, 3 valves, silver-plated brass