Humes&Berg "Stonelined" red/white tunable tuba str. mute 193 Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Humes&Berg "Stonelined" red/white tunable tuba str. mute 193

Postby bloke » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:57 pm

I nice person on TubeNet sold me one of these at a good price, and strove to mail it to me as inexpensively as possible.
Thanks. :D

I did not/do not need it, but sometimes the only way to find out about products is to BUY them. I've actually done that with some (considerably pricey) tubas, with models that never showed up at conference booths.

I also do not know if Humes & Berg is still making it. No one seems to be stocking it...

It seems to be a model 193, and is "tunable", with a corked cylinder that slides in-and-out.

:arrow: Here is my review of the product:

- It doesn't seem to work very well at all with 4/4 tubas (vague/no focus/saggy pitch)
LARGER TUBA COMMENTS:
- I actually did have some pretty good luck with a large 5/4 tuba (as the selection of mutes that work "OK" with 5/4 - 6/4 tubas...none of them - in my view - are "amazing").
- With the slider installed (regardless of position) the sound is muffled.
- With the slider removed, the sound is about like what I would like to hear a straight mute produce...BUT (without the slider) the pitch is really high.
...so - if your 5/4-size tuba's main tuning slide has formidable slide room to play flatter, this model of mute could work for you.
- alteration recommended for 5/4 or 6/4 use: Move the handle around to the end of the mute.

Here's the HUGE +PLUS+ for this mute:
- In a large 5/4-size tuba's bell, it fits down BELOW FLUSH to the bell rim, so it fits IN the tuba and IN your bag...for easy transport.

weight:

- no stem: a bit over 1-1/2 pounds
- with stem: about 1-3/4 pounds

yeah...my Wick aluminum/spun mute (with my 5/4 instrument) works much better (less slide-pulling, comparing the Wick to the stem-removed Humes & Berg cardboard/whatever 193), but is not the be-all/end-all either.

I still view the SMALLER SIZE (206) aluminum/spun "Symphonic" H&B to be an amazing/superb (sure: be-all/end-all) mute for 4/4 instruments and large F tubas.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: Humes&Berg "Stonelined" red/white tunable tuba str. mute

Postby bloke » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:26 am

I seriously may move the handle, remove the stem, embrace a serious main slide pull, and use this for the calls-for-muted-contrabass-tuba gigs.

I really like the fits-in-the-bell-in-the-case-or-bag feature.

I'll be running a few scales today (with the main slide pulled about as far as possible) and checking intonation.

If I decide to use it, maybe I'll mask off the corks and hit it with flat black paint, so it looks "expensive" and "European". :P ...and you think I'm kidding...
bloke

Postby BopEuph » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:01 pm

Try black gloss paint! Wouldn't that make it look more expensive?
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:07 pm

:o THIS IS A JOB FOR SUPERWAYNE (Wiley).

bloke

Return to TubeNet