4th of July & Christmas - ringer work Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

4th of July & Christmas - ringer work

Postby bloke » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:00 pm

"Hey bloke,

[1] All of our tuba players are headed out of town on fishing trips on the Fourth...so could we pay you a hundred bucks to play with our band in the park at 7 o'clock, before the fireworks... ...oh, and would you be willing to walk up to the front and play the piccolo solo on your tuba in Stars & Stripes Forever?"

[2] All of our tuba players are headed out of town to see their grandchildren over the holidays...so could we pay you a hundred bucks to play with us at our Christmas concert... ...oh, and would you be willing to stand up and play the horse whinny on your tuba at the end of 'Sleigh Ride'?"

bloke wrote:I'd be delighted to show up and play, and - if you have plenty of funds in your treasury, I'll accept the honorarium...but no, I would prefer that those who've waited all year - your piccolo player/your trumpet player - play that solo. To me, it's just not funny, it likely would be both annoying and disappointing to those who should be playing them, and absolutely no one who is attendance would get the "joke".
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: 4th of July & Christmas - ringer work

Postby Charlie C Chowder » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:41 pm

I will probably never be asked to be a ringer, nor can I play the two things mentioned, but thanks for the etiquette advice as it could be useful in other aspect of my life.

Charlie C. Chowder
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:51 pm

8)
bloke

Postby dunelandmusic » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:59 pm