MACK-TU355L 3/4 BBb

The bulk of the musical talk
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: MACK-TU355L 3/4 BBb

Post by Three Valves »

I played one and it was very nice. It can be overpowered like any 3/4 smaller bore tuba. (Blatty) It can be disassembled for service. Call Tom and ask him to weigh it. (I’m sure he knows already)

Compared to the 210 I got it seemed very light. (The 210 is 26 pounds) I went there to try and purchase the 355 but just liked the sound of the 210 so much better the weight was worth it. “Worth the weight” get it??

If you are OK with the attributes of any 3/4 BBb tubas and are not picky about fit and finish, I see no reason why you wouldn’t like this one.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Yes, I played the Jazz tornister at the Army conference. It does put out more sound than the standard one. I think they are fine mic’d up or used for practice only but they just don’t/wont produce a sound I am used to out of a 4/4 and an even larger compromise than a 3/4.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

I was strongly considering the 355 as well, back in October. Went with the Schiller 520 due to my preference for piston valves--but I'm still curious about the 355.

My 520 comes in the same style case as the 355. The case weighs 14.2 lbs with a PT-62 mouthpiece, KELLYberg, lubricants, and other rehearsal needs stashed inside.

The 520 tuba, with PT-31 mouthpiece, weighs 16.6 lbs.

The wheeled case, with its multiple handles, turned out to be an unexpected delight for me and my achy back. It's easy to get up and down stairs, and there's a set of wide bumpers on the bell end of the case--it's not going to tip over.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

As well as the 3-valve small Eastman BBb plays, I bet the 4-valve version, which seems to have the same valve section as their 4/4 King clone, would be even better. The price, however, is ridiculous, almost as much as the 4/4 horn.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone