Music shops in the Seattle area

The bulk of the musical talk
tubamarc8891
bugler
bugler

Music shops in the Seattle area

Post by tubamarc8891 »

Do any of you have recommendations for music shops in the seattle-tacoma area with a good inventory of tuba mouthpieces? I was recently stationed here and am not too familiar with the area. I recently bought a ZO Thunderbird 6/4 tuba and would like to try out some different mouthpieces with the horn. Thanks!
U.S. Army Band “Pershing’s Own”
Wessex Chicago Presence CC
Eastman 866 F
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Music shops in the Seattle area

Post by Donn »

Well, there's Oberloh, that's the only retail I know of that would have more than the minimum required for school band students. Not that there couldn't be others. Ted Brown is the only possibility I can think of in Tacoma, might call them and see what they have and if they know anyone else - they've become kind of a regional chain, but they've been in Tacoma a long time. Seattle's going to be paralyzed for a few weeks with road construction.

Doesn't seem realistic to depend on Oberloh's list being up to date, but I see a Schilke 67 on there. If you try that and like it, you might ought to try my James R New C-1 copy of the old Conn 1. I mention that because your tuba puts me in mind of the old Holton 6/4, and while I like the C-1 on whatever, it's especially appealing on my Holton 109. Very deep funnel, rounded rim, nothing else like it.
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Post by fenne1ca »

Not SeaTac persay, but Ivan Giddings is located on Anderson Island. By appointment only, but certainly a range of ‘pieces to try out!
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
Podonnell74
lurker
lurker

Post by Podonnell74 »

Kennelly Keys is another one in the Seattle area. Not sure how many locations and what their selection would be, but another option none the less.